+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New DAC needed old DAC dead

I'm Matt.

Default New DAC needed old DAC dead

As the title says, I have been having trouble with my HRT Streamer, so much so it has been sent back. I really don't know what the trouble is but patchy interference and drop outs have been common place. My Net book isn't all that but it certainly has the minimum system requirements to use the HRT.

Any suggestions of either a replacement or what the issue might have been will be great fully received. If I do get a new DAC I don't want to spend more than 200

Thanks, oh and if you havnt already done so check out Nicholas Jarr.
    Bowers and Wilkins CM1
    Philips Cd 618
    Marantz amp

I'm Gary.

gotta be a Caiman for that kind of money.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Matt.

It does look like the obvious DAC. There are others such as the Music Fidelity VDAC, little Dot ETC. Dacmagic.

Any way nice to meet you. How is Class D World
    Bowers and Wilkins CM1
    Philips Cd 618
    Marantz amp

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

For that money a Gaitor Caiman. I had a MF V-DAC and sold it after hearing the Caiman. The V-DAC is very limited for inputs, has a nasty PSU and is very awkward to place in a system, due to where the inputs are located. In fairness to it, the sound is very good and nothing really to choose between it and the Caiman, but with all the other pluses of the Caiman, it's a one horse race IMO. Don't have any experience of the others you mention.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Ross.

I would opt for the Gatored Caiman at that price range.

Or, push to £300 and get the NuForce Icon HDP, which is incredible for the money. Really.
    Speakers: Kii THREE
    Headphones: Lumin A1 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266

I'm Chris.

The NuForce uDAC-2 gets close to what the Icon can do (with the right cable).

Drop me a line if you would like to pop over to Glastonbury and play with one.

Shame you've sent the HRT back as it probably isn't the problem. Netbooks are borderline for some music players and won't do other things at the same time.

I use Tranquil PC T7's which have Atom processors and it does take a bit of messing about (and choosing the right music player) to get them playing without glitches.

I've settled on foobar and ASIO for troublefree operation but the music will still skip if the PC tries to do other things at the same time.
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Matt.

Hi Chris ,Ross and Tim.

Thanks for your suggestions and I explored your ideas. In the end I had to think what it was I wanted.

I absolutely love the HRT sound, but the interaction with my PC was beginning to cause more problems that I like.

So what I did was to replace the Netbook as a source with my iPod loaded with lossless files and use my iPad for Spotify. The HRT Music Streamer II has been replaced with The HRT iStreamer.

lets see how it goes. I've had a couple of changes in the last few months and all is going well.
    Bowers and Wilkins CM1
    Philips Cd 618
    Marantz amp

I'm John.

Being a bit of an HRT fan I wondered if the change to the recent “i” version and upgrade from netbook (?)had cured your earlier problems Matt?
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Being a bit of an HRT fan I wondered if the change to the recent “i” version and upgrade from netbook (?)had cured your earlier problems Matt?

Sorry for taking time to get back to you. Well the iStreamer turned up and I could not get it to work with my iPod classic. It would also only work intermittently with my iPad. I sent the unit back feeling quite despondent. So I went down RS and got myself a Cambridge Audio DAC magic, and you know what I am so pleased I did. My Denon amp also gave up last week, so was replace with A NAD. The combo is fantastic. rich full and detailed. Great budget sound

The FATman lives upstairs
    Bowers and Wilkins CM1
    Philips Cd 618
    Marantz amp

+ Reply to Thread