+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want a Garrard but this is a bit much!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Hi Stewart

You say that but most folk who are into Garrard's and lenco's have them meticulously well set up and fully refurbished and they love them .

I don't think the casual listener is going to fork out 2k for one of these .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Clive.

I have a 301 and a new Salvation sitting side by side. The 301 indeed sounds great and it really is not that hard to get an old idler performing properly. I wouldn't call a 301 neutral, it is coloured, in a way that is pleasing, the same applies to the 401 but to a lesser degree. The £2k figure being discussed is interesting as the Salavation http://www.trans-fi.com/turntable.htm is around that price. As good as the Garrards are the Salvation rim-drive deck shows them a clean pair of heels.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

A deck is only as good as the person setting it up. I have seen some expensive pieces of kit on a wall mounted shelf . Highly noticeable to visitors, but sonically not much better than a BSR...
    The 401 needs a good solid foundation to really show its metal.

I'm Clive.

Here are the 2 decks I was talking about, the 301 is on a twin tier slate plinth.

TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side

I'm ILOB.

The great thing about the Salvation is just how much it been improved over the last year It was a great TT a year ago, but now well just stunning performance. In my view its the best value to performance TT out there and would compete against TT costing crazy money
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Clive.

Indeed John......it's been really interesting being so close to all the developments. As you know the final touches are being made to the all-important power supply. We had a power supply shoot out on Tuesday and Vic is running a final trial today. We bettered what you heard so recently!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    A deck is only as good as the person setting it up. I have seen some expensive pieces of kit on a wall mounted shelf . Highly noticeable to visitors, but sonically not much better than a BSR...
    The 401 needs a good solid foundation to really show its metal.
    What's wrong with sinking all the energy into a heavy, load bearing wall? My Mentor was mounted this way (the wall was made from "engineering" grade bricks I suspect as the deck with slab weighted over a hundredweight) and sounded absobloodybloomin' marvelous...

Our previous house had a suspended concrete boomy floor and my little starter home had chipboard on polystyrene
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Like Dave said , i have a bouncy floor , what's the alternative ? hang it from the ceiling .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Nobody.

Your a laugh a min you lot arguing over turntables when they are the most Prehistoric medicore way of playing music which ever way you choose

posh nail stuck in a plastic groove
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 06-01-2011 at 13:29.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Your a laugh a min you lot arguing over turntables when they are the most Prehistoric medicore way of playing music which ever way you choose

posh nail stuck in a plastic groove
    So how's shining a light into series of slots any better?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast