+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proud New Owner of a Quad 33/303

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

As Andre says, the FM2 was, I think, the valve/ss stereo tuner that went with the old valve Quads. This was refreshed for the 33/303 era in a similarly styled case with the ss decoder mounted inside, rather than in a separate box mounted on the rear. The FM2 sounds lush into most systems, although a high input impedance of 100K (what Quad recommended at the time) seems to balance it out well. The FM3 still needs 50K on the preamp though, but suitably serviced, it sounds very good indeed, if a bit straight laced to the Accuphase brigade.

One of my favourite all-time amps for around a ton is the A&R A60 in its various forms. Pricing killed it off at the end as the Creeks were almost as good and two thirds the price (but not as well made and not always as reliable). The A60 is musical, with a good balance of detail and forgiveness of less than top grade sources, very important in domestic audio at this level I think. Most surviving A60's will need a supply re-cap by now and getting at the circuit board underside is a royal PITA, but it's well worth the hassle IMO.

Other good budget amps were the top Rotel slimline integrateds (971/972?) and hifi dave and I have a very soft spot for some of the HK amps (5500 integrated I think it was).

The problem with practically ALL vintage gear (anything pre 1995 IMO), is that some service work will almost certainly be required on the stuff, from cleaning pots and switches to part or full re-capping and re-setup of bias currents etc. If you buy a classic amp and have this done, you'll probably have a better sound than when new. Certainly, a restored and updated Quad 33/303 or 44/405-2 will be clearly better than when new as better components at low cost are readily avaliable now - just goes to show that the old Quad stuffed shirts did actually know what they were doing, whereas the equally but opposite-viewpoint stuffed shirts that replaced them just used the same old wine in new bottles decade after decade and are still doing so.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

Hi Dave
    It's 'FM2SD' (Stereo Decoder) You can fit a One Thing 'MPX-1' decoder in the FM2 to replace the original if you want. & of course there is the 'AM3' tuner.
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 17-12-2010 at 20:29.

I'm Nick.

The AM3 is quite a rarity.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Garry.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    More fool them i say...I bet i could name at least six blokes on here with '33'/'303's
    There aint anything that comes close in terms of sound quality and value for money, especially with EL 57s. They are still the 'Best of British' and properly serviced will go on forever.
    "I'm of an age where my back goes out more than I do" - Phyllis Diller

Garry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12