+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reviews of Mark Grant G1000HD audio cables

I'm inthescottishmafia.

No Marco,just as digital I.c's.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Perhaps the three phono connectors could be measured to find out *exactly* why they differ (often in capacitance I discovered some years ago).

I fixed my Canare "problem" by gently squeezing the outer connector a tad to get more "grip" and I always liked the Neutrik pro plugs, but the WBT's can destroy the standard types of phono sockets supplied with many domestic audio products as the clamps are TIGHT and MUST be unscrewed before attempting to remove..

Mark, please can you indicate the price differences?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Chris,

The point I'm making is that once you change the connector you are not dealing with the same beast.

What you have is the same cable stock as Mark Grant Cables use with some different connectors.
    The termination type is different too, as the others you've listed require soldering.
    Indeed. The way I look at it is that the most 'neutral sounding' connector (i.e. that which alters the signal the least) allows the sonic performance of the cable full reign... Therefore, in effect, the WBTs allow one to realise the maximum effect of the G1000HDs. Their essential sonic signature remains the same, as it is with the Canares, although simply more enhanced.

The Canares are the only plugs which are crimped; the others are all the soldered type.

Are the cables going to be part of the Mark Grant portfolio, or are they just some one off modified stereo pairs ?
    As far as I know, they will become part of Mark's product portfolio and be available for purchase at their respective price points direct from his website.

Mark will clarify the exact costs.

My concern is that we'll be reading a report on the outcome of comparing apples with oranges.
    It's really just a case of choosing how good you want your G1000HDs to be!

In my experience, the biggest improvement is gained by going from Canares to Neutriks. The upgrade from Neutriks to WBTs is slightly more subtle, but if your system has the requisite resolution to show the difference, then the results, musically, are very rewarding and worthwhile

From experience, I would say that a pair of WBT-modified G1000HDs comfortably perform to the level of 'hi-end' interconnect designs on the market at £2k, at a mere fraction of that cost. It's amazing just how much you can save when you stick to solid engineering principles and remove the marketing bullshit and the prestige value of owning a 'desirable badge'!!

Nordost, Kimber, et al, would shit their pants if they heard them

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Same cable but different connectors all soldered apart from the Canare and are as follows:

1) Standard G1000HD with Canare

2) G1000HD with Neutrik Pro-fi

3) G1000HD with WBT 0147

4) G1000HD with WBT NextGen 0110 cu

All the above are likely to be available except the WBT 0147 for reasons I'll outline in the review in Strokes of Genius.
    Last edited by Steve Toy; 27-07-2010 at 17:40. Reason: trying to remove the "Last edited..."

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I forgot about the WBT 0147s you had!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12