+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wam forum

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    What is woke supposed to really mean? I'd read a while back it was something that meant , to care for others feelings? Now it seems in the media at least,bunch of weird nobs with pink hair that dont like petrol or straight white people
    I think the origin is late 1960s America. Describing black people who had become aware of their history and why they were getting treated as second class.

Then it translated into being a description for being aware of the need for 'social justice' in general.

The whole social justice thing went over the top in a variety of ways that normal people found ridiculous, and so now 'woke' has gained a pejorative meaning - describing any situation/ person/ organization that panders to, promotes or supports obvious nonsense.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

"Woke" is the past tense of 'wake', and used in the sense that some people have 'awoken' or become aware of historical facts and history which others, usually holding rigid and conservative views, would prefer to be kept quiet.

Thus for example, the National Trust is now revealing how the original owners made the money which allowed them to build the grand houses the NT now curate. The fact that this money may have come from slavery in the former UK colonies is something those who hold anti-woke opinions would prefer be left unsaid.

Similarly petitions to the British Museum to return certain items in its collection to the original country is considered 'woke' by some.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    "Woke" is the past tense of 'wake', and used in the sense that some people have 'awoken' or become aware of historical facts and history which others, usually holding rigid and conservative views, would prefer to be kept quiet.

Thus for example, the National Trust is now revealing how the original owners made the money which allowed them to build the grand houses the NT now curate. The fact that this money may have come from slavery in the former UK colonies is something those who hold anti-woke opinions would prefer be left unsaid.
    The problem arises when the 'woke' version of history is just as selective in the facts as the version it replaces.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post

Similarly petitions to the British Museum to return certain items in its collection to the original country is considered 'woke' by some.
    A complicated issue, serfdom often forgotten in the slavery discussion
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Mike.

So Woke is basically being into history? Or just some history? I mean history is fucking complicated! Get me two historians who agree with each other! Impossible.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

History is a thing of the past.

I'm David.

Sorry to change the subject, but looks like Wam is back up.
    You could say woken....
    Mark Levinson 390S CD / Audiolab 6000 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm Phil.

extraordinary !!
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread