+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mordaunt Short ms10I vs ms5.50 thoughts?

I'm Rob.

Default Mordaunt Short ms10I vs ms5.50 thoughts?

A friend has a pair of mordaunt short ms 5.50*speakers that he wants to give me, however not much opportunity to demo. I have a pair of ms10i classics, obviously the 5.50s are floorstanders not standmount but the classics give me a great sound for classical music which is mostly what I listen to. How might the larger speakers compare? anyone had any? Friend's wife is nagging about the size so he plans to swap speakers! My main concern is that the larger ones may be more boomy, they definitely has more bass! I heard them at his house but his system isn't mine and we have different musical tastes.

I'm Geoff.

Can't your friend bring them round for you to try?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

He lives ages away and can't visit often. That would be ideal but I'm also just curious to hear people's thoughts on these speakers.

I'm Adam.

They're very good. I'd say they'd be a pretty decent upgrade from your MS10is
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    They're very good. I'd say they'd be a pretty decent upgrade from your MS10is
    Are my fears of less sweet mids/treble unfounded with bigger speakers, then?

I'm Lawrence.

There's a potential issue that I put more in the psycho-acoustic category than the actual frequency response. The MS5.50 may have just as good treble (and I had the MS5.30 and MS25i IIRC so can testify) but when you add bass the sound can be less fast and dynamic to the listener. This is why lots of people like Linn Kans and Naim amps, you could stick a bigger speaker on with the same tweeters but they will say they sound slow and plod along.

The MS5.50 had a transmission line IIRC I always wanted to try a pair as I really liked the 5.30.

Sent from my PCT-L29 using Tapatalk

I'm Rob.

My wife has just reminded me I was moaning about too little bass on the ms10s before, so maybe this is exactly what I need! Thanks for your comments! I really think MS are very underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    There's a potential issue that I put more in the psycho-acoustic category than the actual frequency response. The MS5.50 may have just as good treble (and I had the MS5.30 and MS25i IIRC so can testify) but when you add bass the sound can be less fast and dynamic to the listener. This is why lots of people like Linn Kans and Naim amps, you could stick a bigger speaker on with the same tweeters but they will say they sound slow and plod along.

The MS5.50 had a transmission line IIRC I always wanted to try a pair as I really liked the 5.30.

I'm Grant.

MS made decent stuff. if your room is of decent size i'd think they will be an improvement. for money they are worth a try
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Pretty sure these speakers were designed by a team overseen by Robin Marshall (ex Epos) when he was at MS, and the connection shows. They don't have the same kudos but they are from the same breed.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramophonic View Post
    Are my fears of less sweet mids/treble unfounded with bigger speakers, then?
    No, there shouldn’t be.

The quality of the mid and treble is down to the design of the loudspeaker and not how big it is!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread