+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Supporting the SL-1210

Default supporting the Sl 1210 ...the rest of the story

Then I finally put on the rubber base. In my mind it created a problem because the feet are not connected or not really mated to the base, but sort of loosely holds in the corners that really have no support. (This I discovered before with the Maplewood heavy brass feet I installed and had to glue the metal inserts to the rubber base) So I took a box knife and shaved flat the corner areas.

So I end up with a flat rubber belly ready to be mated to some kind of support and transmitting the energy.
    I then made a wood piece that would mate flatly to the rubber bottom, with the appropriate bottom hollowed out shapes to allow an even surface mated to the rubber bottom.

I then put the wood base on top of a thick granite piece, held by an old Target wall mounted TT support. This was too much energy absorption & flattened somewhat the image, so I put the wood base on 3 small metal cones.

I added 2 of Larry’s copper mats & the Oracle platter matt. The Oracle matt is concave and works well with Larry’s brass center weight.

To make a long story short, I finally get tons & tons of bass from the Technics, along with the details and information the direct drive gives. The air, the decay the depth of field is all there. Possibly the Oracle has a bit more air, but not as much bass and information. More air should come as I experiment with different base types & ideas from others...

I also made another wood base of hard maple, on metal cones - but that I have to listen to ....
    Attached Images Attached Images

MartinT Guest

That's a pretty way-out set of mods. Your reference Oracle must be quite a performer in the bass, too. I have no complaints at all about bass extension, but in my case it's the arm that has excavated deep bass and the Isonoes that provide isolation.

Thumbs up deep bass...

<<it's the arm that has excavated deep bass and the Isonoes that provide isolation. >>

Do you have the stock arm or some other tonearm ?

In any case I would venture that your deep bass is also related to your Mike New bearing that I also have....

Apart from the fact that you have mean amplification and very nice speakers...that will produce mucho bass

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Citation16 View Post
    Do you have the stock arm or some other tonearm ?
    I now have the rather excellent Dynavector DV507-II arm installed. I do agree that the MN bearing has also contributed to extended and tight bass.

Apart from the fact that you have mean amplification and very nice speakers...that will produce mucho bass
    Oh yes, there is no lack of bass in my system

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345