I have bought an Jan Allaerts mc1 boron mk2. The claimed 5k hours and cheap retip makes it a cart for life. Understand the risks of slow response from the one man shop. The feedback on another forum from BruceD, who set up his first TT in 1957 when most of the people on forums were not born, helps. As does that of an Yamamura horn owner I visited twice whose system happens to be one of the top systems I have heard.

I visited Audio Arts in NY recently on 5th avenue and there he has a 300k Zellaton with all FM acoustics system, and is running the above Allaerts on a Brinkmann balance. Gideon of Audio Arts has been with Jan Allaerts since the 90s, and with the JA into FM into apogee grands and scintillas. I was able to swap to digital as well as change speakers during that demo. I stared at sufficient certainty that a cartridge strategy fell in place in my mind over the next week.

It can do violin highs of Lyra without any etch or glare. It can do piano flow with attack on top and body on bottom. Vocals are outstanding, male and female. Other users I called, first thing that they said was tonal fluidity. It will work with horns and with apogee

It works on FR 64s – Bruce, Gideon, another user confirmed that. Excellent news, given that this is a great arm for the price, till one gets money longer term to upgrade to Schroeder LT (which I haven’t heard, but by reputation). Plus, Schroeder himself is known to like this cart, as per forums.

My other cart will be Miyajima mono, which on the right records produces better sonics than all other stereo carts to my ears.

Optional carts will be SPU for piano and brass (not for violin, vocals, or orchestra), and a restored Decca or some MM for an alternate sound (it works on the FR 64s very well).

All carts together fit into the price of an Airtight Opus, Zyx top models, GFS. Plus, I like this sound better with the right phono.

So – is it easy to shift carts via changing headshells on the FR 64s, or should I get a flexible wand arm like Moerch DP8, with a Schick for the SPU.

I haven't narrowed the TTs yet - Schopper 124, OMA Anatase, a good DD, and Brinkmann Balance - will have to narrow down over time, might end up with a couple.

MY Zellaton/FM/ report is here http://zero-distortion.org/fm-acoust...im-audio-arts/