+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lap top v raspberry pi

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I'm intrigued by your comment, "buy cheap, pay twice". As a development economist the notion of a performance/price ratio is hardwired into my dna. Remind me how much an annual subscription to Roon costs and how this compares to the one off purchase price of the RPi system you auditioned?

I am not disputing that Roon is a polished user interface, but frankly I believe it to be hugely overpriced. Additionally, I have compared my own RPi system to much more expensive digital front ends and have found it better in terms of SQ.

Geoff
    Not commenting on anyones choices, were all different.

Honestly though,
    In my system The Pi sounded quite poor against my Logitech Transporter into the same Dac.
    Sounded like a toy in comparison.
    The Pi was set up properly by the way, so its not that.

Some judicial choices and sometimes you get what what you pay for in my experience.
    We all pick a spot, and thsts absolutely right.
    How many of us have been on the upgrade bandwaggon for years, threw good money after bad and ended up a bit disolusioned at the end wondering if we actually are that better than we were?
    Me for one!

My take on Roon differs from yours Geoff, and thats ok.
    Been a ‘Roonie’ since it came out and to me was the logical next step to me after many years of using Squeezebox Server/ LMS. Absolutely worth every penny, and that was coming from being a fanboy JRiver user for many years, which ‘technically’ does the same thing.
    Not stuck in my ways, whatever gets me there!
    This might change again in fact, PS Audio are working on their own Roont type software OS so may make the jump to that in the future if its up to snuff.

All about the interface and user experience to me nowadays, who the feck wants to be going into the linux command line to mount shares (etc) when the thing shits itself or theres a power cut?
    A black box that works...who wouldnt want that?

Just one mans opinion Geoff, YMMV and Tonys a mate so dont want to recommend something I dont believe in or think woukd suit him.

These things are always worth trying in your own system of course, but given the nature of the rest of his system I would only suggest something that’ll be obviously better than the laptop he used now, which sounds pretty great as is.
    Chromecasts a good idea to try, not heard one but lots of folk like em, and not too salty a price to try.
    Good shout, worth a punt cos you just never know.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 21-02-2018 at 20:41.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread