Although I am reasonably tech savvy, I have no experience with Linux. However, by following instructions and trial and a process of trial and error, I was able to set up an RPi streamer. The latest version of Volumio is pretty straightforward and so long as you follow the instructions rigorously, can get a basic system up and running.

I understand that not everyone is able or willing to go down this path. To use a skiing analogy, I would equate RPi systems as a blue/red run (on the ascending scale of difficulty of green, blue, red, black). Of course, for some, a green run carries the terror equivalent of a black run for others. Their perception of streaming technology is unlikely to be changed by any posts on this forum. Having said that, who would have predicted the rise of smartphones 20 years ago, or the widespread adoption of streaming technology in the form of Netflix, iPlayer, or Amazon Prime. I am guessing that more than 90% of new tvs are smart devices, with built in apps for a range of streaming services. Most of these devices will have an optical output so that audio can be fed into a dac or one of the new generation of combined dac/amps. Given that most younger folk do not appear to buy cds or even whole albums any more, I would predict an exponential growth in the adoption of audio streaming over the next decade, as has occurred with tv and movies.

Is there the audio steaming equivalent of the Polaroid Camera in existence now? I would say yes. The Cocktail Audio devices have already been mentioned. The Cambridge CXN can be used as a Web Radio Streamer, and by plugging an external usb drive in, one can stream ripped files without the hassle of locating drives on networks.

I would nominate a device that is still in production after several years (I still have mine) https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-WDBPUF00...dp_ob_title_ce

Consider this the audiovisual Swiss Army Knife. It connects to your tv or monitor, and has an optical out for audio too. It comes with a remote control and a really user friendly interface via the tv. It will play almost any digital format both audio and visual. The quality is very good and especially so at the price. Again, all you need to do is plug a usb drive with your files into the usb slot and away you go, although you can also access media on a local network too. Definitely the equivalent of a green run.

Geoff