Hi,

I have an 80 watt power amp. The household name varieties start at 500 watt. Ish.

Power (watts), in this context, is not linear as I understand it, so a 100 watt system with be 2x as loud as a 10 watt system - outside.

Indoors, there are other factors, like resonance and reflections which will, I assume highten the difference in volume.

500 watt would at first sight seem like overkill for me. I am told a higher power amp will be able to deliver dynamic music faster (ie it can draw on more reserves quickly). That sounds logical and desireable.

I have never owned a 500 watt power amp but I suspect some of you may have. So, if I were to buy a 500 watt amp and hook it up to the same pre-amp I am interested to hear from members what happens in practice.

With the 80 watt amp a nice listening level is at about 10 o'clock on the volume dial on my preamp. 75dB ish. No audible distortion.

What happens with the 500 watt amp? Is the 10 o'clock setting still the same volume level?

It is louder? Or is it the "reserves" that are important? If were much louder the volume control would become less adjustable/useable. That sounds like a rubbish idea

I guess it would be able to drive higher resistance speakers, or more speakers.

And why isn't 80 watt enough anymore? Mine is fine.

So, any experience on that front? I haven't got a few grand lying around to test it, so it will not happen in practice. Just interested. I feel I should know the answer, but I don't.

Over to you. Thanks in advance.