Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Lol - this subject keeps coming up again and again [and again]... Jim, you've heard my T/T at NEBO, which at the time you said was one of the best sounds you've ever heard from vinyl, and I can assure you (as indeed Macca will confirm, as he's heard both in my system), my CD player sounds very similar.

Not the *same*, but so close, as I've said before, that when lying back listening to music, I often forget whether it's a record playing or a CD (based on the former being a pristine vinyl pressing with very low surface noise). I certainly wouldn't be able to do that if CD inherently "lacks soul".

The fact is, it doesn't. It simply necessitates the use of the right digital equipment, in order to release its full potential - and that full potential, in my experience, ably allows it to compete favourably with any turntable. Note, however, I'm not saying that it betters it.

And yes, there will always be differences between digital and analogue, but not the huge discrepancies some claim, which exist simply because either the digital or analogue source equipment being used isn't capable of revealing the full potential of the partnering music software. When that's NOT the case, the real differences are small.

It's *that* simple, folks!

Marco.
I find it hard to believe that you cannot tell, even when lying back, whether it's a CD playing or it's a vinyl record playing. I'm not saying that it is easy to differentiate between the two formats because one is superior to another, but it's a simple fact that digital sounds different than analogue. And the difference may not be attributable to the difference in the quality of the playback equipment, but simply to the difference in which digital format gets mastered from the way analogue mastering goes. I can always tell which is which, without even passing a judgment as to which may sound more desirable.