I've never been into The Doors, despite the fact that I always thought how "Light My Fire" and "Riders On The Storm" are good songs. But somehow no other song I've listened to by them could hold my attention.

Finally decided that it is time to re-evaluate my position regarding The Doors. After all, they are one of the most respected big acts in the history of rock. Such level of adoration must indicate that some real quality must be hidden in there.

So I did some reading on this band's opus, and decided to give it another try with their allegedly 'best' album -- "Strange Days". I got me an original pressing of that LP, and was very excited to hear what the fuss is all about.

Well, I'm sorry to say, but that LP left me totally unimpressed. I still feel that their shtick is mostly a pretentious, oh-so-dark-and-messed-up faux bohemian drivel.

Can anyone help me clarify this confusion? On one hand so many people are raving about this band as being one of the greatest ever, but on the other hand all I'm hearing is vacuous posturing and rather amateurish musicianship. Plus, Morrison's vocals are quite lame, boiling down to nothing more than high-school level theatrical histrionics.

So where's the epiphany, what am I missing here?