Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
I am currently in the best place sonically I have ever been and I have no requirement to chase after some fantasy sound in the way a religious idiot chases a fantasy figure. I am at peace with my current system and do not see any kind of change coming any time soon. Yes, I shall have to renew quite a lot of valves and that will have to be done carefully and yes, there will have to be a cartridge change at some point but even having heard so much gear in almost forty years of listening, I am totally satisfied with my current sound system. I have compared my present system to those of friends who use a whole range of turntables and I always prefer my own. This is a good place to be. My only dilemma...? Buy CD's at a tenner or vinyl at twenty odd quid...?
Not quite sure what or who you're referring to there, Shaun (the bit in bold). Hopefully it's no-one here, as no-one I know of falls into that category.

I fully understand and appreciate where you're coming from, but that shouldn't negate your desire always to learn and discover new things. So what if someone was to pop up to your place with, say, a heavily modded SL-1210, or perhaps Paul's Sony, and to your ears it beat your NA?

Just say that happened, for the sake of the discussion, what would be your opinion then on direct-drive T/Ts?

Marco.