Just a cry for help from me.

My Dad was diagnosed with this horrible disease a few years ago, and things have being going downhill since then.

I know that this is a progessive disease and things get worse, but Im kind of floundering at the moment and would welcome any input.

He has lived on his own for many years ( he is 84 ) in sheltered accomodation, where he has looked after himself. cooking , washing etc , etc

But about 1 year ago we had to put other stuff in place. This help has gradually increased, and he now gets 3 visits daily to help with all aspects of his life.
This is a mixture of me paying privately for some stuff and social services paying for other stuff.
All aspects of his life are now helped/supervised.

That side of things is all fine and Im not looking for advice in that area.

Im looking for specific advice, just on the medical side, if possible.

I have full power of attorney and pretty much make all choices now in relation to his life.
About 6 weeks ago we had a review of his position, including the Dementia Consulatant who looks after Dad.
He decided that his condition merited a doubling of the dosage of the drug which slows down the worsening condition. Also to put Dad on anti depressants. I went with it, and agreed.

Since then , we seem to have had a marked deterioration in every way.
increased confusion, frustration, sadness etc etc.
I now receive daily tearful phone calls. Crys for help. Heartbreaking stuff, as I live 5 hours away, and only manage up once a month, or in emergencies !!

As I said, i know this is only going one way, and that there are no rules about how quickly this occurs.

It is just that things seemed to have changed so quickly since this latest drug change. The mental health team want to give the new drug regime longer.

Im really not keen to argue with a Dementia consultant............. But......

It may just be a coincidence and a natural part of his decline....but it doesnt feel right.

Any thoughts, please