+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My new music server.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Brian.

Default My new music server.

It never ceases to amaze me how members of this forum are willing to give up their valuable time in order to help another member. Let me explain.
    About 3 years ago I gave up on this hobby believing I was getting nowhere after almost 30 years of searching. I was never able to afford the real high end stuff which I aspired to and after many system changes I decided to give up the ghost . I bought a Klipsch Igroove Ipad dock ( which is actually very good IMO ) and a Sony MP4 player. I lived with this for some time until I stumbled upon the Art Of Sound forum last May.
    Many of the members were talking about file-based audio . 'Surely you can't get decent sounds from computer 'I thought . However many of the arguments and experiences put forward by members in favour of this medium were quite compelling . I have to say at this stage that I didn't know ( and still don't know ) much about computers.
    So I decided to investigate further. I decided to 'dip my toe' in the water so to speak and went on to Ebay and purchased a second hand Dell laptop and a little Hot Audio DAC . I have to mention here that I kept my NVA amp and cables as they have provided me with sterling service over the years . (I put them in the loft )
    I also bought a pair of Royd A7 speakers . Special mention must go to Mark (Reid Malenphant ) who talked me through upgrading the crossovers on these speakers , turning a good pair of standmounts into an excellent pair.When I got this little system up and running I couldn't believe how good it sounded . With the help of John (Welder) and Tim on AOS I was to achieve even better results .
    To cut to the chase several more upgrades were to provide me with a system which has given me with much listening pleasure . However a couple of months ago I was selling something on the forum and was contacted by Gary ( Gazjam ) who wanted to buy my item . We discovered that we lived quite close to each other , so Gary came to mine to pick up the item . We got talking about our systems and the result was Gary offered to build me a music server to my specifications ( actually they were his as I don't have a bliddy clue ) with Windows 7 and JRiver media player included. Well Gary delivered the server the other day and set it up for me . Quite frankly I couldn't believe what I was hearing . This is easily the best system I have ever owned . My new system sounds fantastic IMHO and I believe that as it settles down it will improve even more . I have had a couple of late nights already rediscovering my music collection. Fantastic !
    If you are contemplating going down the file-based audio route my suggestion would be to go for it. The rewards are well worth the effort IMO and there are plenty of people on AOS who are more than willing to give up their valuable time to help. If I haven't mentioned your name or the help you provided me with please forgive me as my memory isn't what it used to be.
    Below a few pictures of my new server and system with thanks to all who helped me get to where I am today ,especially Gazjam who has provided me with so much help and advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brian2957; 12-07-2012 at 11:22.

+ Reply to Thread