Part V - More progress in the midst of a MM cart shoot out.

Hello pop pickers! The TT2 continues to be slowly restored. I've had a solid two weeks listening to a Ortofon 2M Black on the TT2 and have come to the conclusion that it's an excellent synergy between the TT2+2MB+Alphason arm. I'm very lucky to have found such a wonderous trio. Time moves on and I'll soon be plumbing the Shure SC35C + JICO SAS/B stylus back into the mix to conclude my MM cartridge shoot out, this will be phase 3 of a few very long sessions getting to grips with the TT2 and the various Shure+Ortofon carts. It's been a blast and the "REAL SOUND" system has proven to be amazing! I've found a few new pics of the TT2. The first picture shows what the belt spindle looked like after nearly 40 years.

As we can see a load of old rubber. This was cleaned off with IPA and we now have a lovely clean pulley. This TT2 runs @ 33.5 rpm which fits with what Shane mentioned with regards it's design. I would say that the Thorens have the better speed stability and on occasion I've had several running @ 33.3rpm, but usually within +/- 0.01 rpm. I'm not going to get into buying new belts for this TT2 and view the original belt as being more than adequate, especially after 2-3 weeks solid
listening producing excellent sonics. I would say that the TT2 has the better motor than the Thorens decks, it seems to have more torque and more importantly is silent, non of the dreaded Thorens knock on this motor.

The next picture is quite important as it shows quite a few things that have been bought for the TT2.

Firstly we have some nice new original (LINN) hinges which are I believe exactly the same as the original TT2. The dust cover is from a Thorens TD160 and will for the moment have to do. I also managed to get a new TT2 metal badge made for the dust cover and at some point I'll get an original dust cover made, these can be purchased from eBay to the exact Linn measurements. You'll also notice a black felt platter mat.

The above picture shows the now complete full loom of Dueleund "REAL SOUND" cabling. I whipped up a quick tonearm cable and terminated it with Duelund RCA's. You can also see the new TT2 badge . Finally and probably not very importantly I finally managed to get the cabling all nice and tidy. I made several new power leads from odds and sods in my spares box, cabling was belden screened which I use in all my systems and I had a few decent plugs that I fitted, all IEC at the other end were pure copper Furutech jobbies. Overall not bad!

I started out with quite a list of jobs which needed doing on the TT2 of which most have been completed. The paint and veneer need to be restored but that's for another day. This week see's the installation of the SC35C for comparison up against the 2M Black.

Stay tuned......