Ever since I moved I've never gotten the Bastanis to sound as good as they did in the old place- frustrating as they did sound great. This led to some online searching for something I liked the look of, and I came across these on Facebook Marketplace at a decent price, so I thought they were worth a punt.

A pair of IPL's top speaker kit. Cabinets are well made but looked pretty rough (they look better in the photos than in reality)-

These are a large transmission line design using good quality Hi Vi drivers- 10" paper/kevlar woofer, 4" aluminium/magnesium mid and a ribbon tweeter. 91db efficient too, so will work with a wide range of amps. I'm currently using them with an SM70 Pro and this is a great sounding combo, in fact the best sound I've had at home so far (better than with the Krell..). These seem to have it all- they image like a good static, and when it's there they pack a massive punch in the bass, but don't sound one note-ish or have much in the way of boxy colouration.

Only downside was the way they looked, so I had a word with Colin Topps. Colin has retired from speaker building, but will still do occasional jobs for friends if they ask nicely, and I was pleased he was willing to take these on for a re-veneer and also some new crossovers in separate boxes which I'm hoping will make them sound even better- the standard components are pretty basic fare.

I think Colin has wrought a minor miracle, he just sent me some photos of the first veneer job-

Looking forward to getting these back.