+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ali Tait visit to Gazjam Towers..

I'm Gary.

Default Ali Tait visit to Gazjam Towers..

Ali was good enough to lug some kit in the car and come over the other day to let me compare the Mini-T amp I had on loan with the Bantham Gold “better than Tripath” amps he had.
    I’m looking to change my amp, and being the bargain hunter I am I was happy to latch on to the whole class D Tripath amp movement – much amp for little money!
    Ali uses his two Banthams bi-amped into Wad valve Preamps/ Behringer DCX2496 Ultradrive Pro crossover. This all in turn drives the BIGGEST set of muh’fugin speakers that my eyes have clapped onto , a twin 15” woofer open baffle design.
    So the Agenda of the day was:

1. Compare Mini-T to Bantham
    In my system, just swap the Mini-T for the Bantham to give me a chance to hear how good the Mini-T was in comparison with something similar. I say similar…the Bantham is 3 times the price, a factor that comes into play later.
    The Mini-T had already bettered my trusty Cambridge Azur 640 in my system, a wee bit less bass but far better mid and detail and more “high end” sounding. Much lower noise floor too.
    Ali wanted to know I think if he had spent his cash wisely on the Banthams and not just got a pair of Mini-T’s!

RESULT
    First impressions...? The Mini-T is beaten (but not by a huge amount) on bass. There’s more of it, goes deeper and adds a more solid foundation to the music. The Bantham has two “gain” settings, the first higher quality one being quite low volume wise compared to the Mini-T’s 25w a side, and a 2nd setting giving a 6db boost…which is how we did the comparison.
    Overall, I'd say the Bantham was the better amp.
    Better in some areas (particularly the bass), but maybe not QUITE as good as the Mini-T in more transparent midrange and insight , but considering that the Bantham costs 3 times as much BUT DOES NOT SOUND 3 TIMES BETTER - I'd go for the T-Amp.

Maybe if I had more transparent speakers (my AE’s are nearly 14 years old and not known for being transparent) the difference in amps would be more apparent…but somehow I don’t think so.
    The Mini-T has been used with some pretty esoteric speakers and its qualities have shone through.
    It depends of course on your system and preferred audio flavour of course, but the Mini-T held its own.
    In the context of Ali’s fantastic system, the Banthams were the better buy.
    Me? I’d probably buy (and will) the Mini-T...far better value for money, Ali and I both agreed on this.

2. Set up Ali’s System and let me hear it
    Once all the kit was set up we settled down to listen to a few tracks.
    Jeezus...these speakers were amazing in comparison to mine!
    You know that way where you think your kit is good…then you hear something better?

A big part of the improvement was in the design of the speakers…these open baffle speakers have NO box colouration, no sense of the sound from a box. The back wall just had music coming from it.
    I had expected them to be bass monsters because of the twin 15” woofers…but no actually.
    The bass went low, but in no way subsonic. It was tight and had great “bounce” to it…helping music boogie along.
    What got me about these speakers (and Ali’s setup in general I guess), was the huge “wall of sound” it created.
    A couple of tracks gave us real WTF! Moments, the kind where you’re really taken aback by what you’re hearing?
    I wanted to try the setup through my Virgin Media box, as well as my DVD player; both playing through the modded Caiman.
    I put on the Led Zeppelin DVD and turned the wick up….think it was Moby Dick live that was on, and the amount of air getting shifted when the drums kicked in? Wow.
    Also, I stuck on “The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over” DVD, the track “Get Over It”?
    Again I turned the wick up, and the feeling of scale and space around the acoustic was amazing.
    I’m sure the electronics (particularly the WAD valve Pre) had a lot to do with that, but I’m sure the design of the speakers played a big part too.
    Ali had said that the open baffle designs image really really well, second only to a good pair of electrostatics, and having head them I was reluctant to help Ali pack them away!
    Maybe not QUITE such a massive pair though (See pictures !)…though the light wood colour did fit in well with the décor!
    The main outcome of the visit I have to say is that Ali has opened my eyes to the benefits of DIY. The amount of kit you can get for your money is fantastic. His speakers and the WAD Pre-Amps are prime examples.
    Along with my own DIY tinkering (albeit at a tiny scale) with the Beresford, I can really see the benefits of this approach, in fact after this I’ll have to think long and hard about buying something “stock” from a shop.

SOME INTERESTING DISCOVERYS…

Ali brought over a bunch of cables as well as a linear power supply for the Squeezebox Touch.
    We compared the Linear PSU with the stock one with my Touch…really significant improvement.
    No if’s, buts or mibbays…we both heard it right away.
    A lot of folk say they don’t make a difference because of the Touch’s internal switching regulators etc.? Nonsense. Get one…it improves things, about the same level to me as fitting a linear supply onto my Beresford Dac.

Also, Ali brought over one of the Belkin interconnects that’s doing the rounds on the forum just now? We compared them directly to the mark Grand HD1000’s I use, and you know what, it’s pretty close.
    £5 as compared to £75? Uhm..
    To me I’m happy to have bought the MG – it’s a better cable – but like the Mini-T/Bantham comparison, price difference doesn’t directly translate to sound quality improvements.

Also, Ali had brought over one of Mike Homar’s digital interconnect cables for me to try?
    We found that made an improvement too…
    So all digital cables AREN’T the same…
    So a big hats off to Ali for taking the trouble to come over and let me hear his fantastic system, and thanks too for the “wire mod” work he did on my Beresford.

A return visit to his gaff is in the works as well as a visit to the next DIY meet – so it’s all good.

Some Piccies:

Cheers.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm ILOB.

Sounds like you guys had a great session
    Open baffles create magic when done right and need not cost silly money
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Jan.

So I guess that we will hear no more from Gaz until he comes back from "hibernation" covered in saw dust
    Jan.

Main: Touch -> Beresford Caiman II -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Duet (Audiocom)
    -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B

Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD + 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

I'm Jerry.

I must confess to knowing very little about open baffle design. Are there manufacturers who produce them as well as the DIY route? My own speakers dont have a cabinet as such, just four poles with fabric stretched around and they are great at imaging.
    Is it possible to produce a design which is accurate without mega bucks testing equipment?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Gary.

Jerry,
    Ali's yer man for this...
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm John.

Thank you very much Gary
    A very honest assessment and well written review

I know it’s a bitch when someone turns up with some kit that trashes your treasured stereo. It’s happened to me a few times. Still, after I had finished crying I at least I knew which direction to go in
    Thanks as well to Ali.
    Unfortunately I’m not much wiser about what to get for my kit.
    I know I want the NAD M2 but the truth is I can’t afford it, so it’s a question of what to take a punt at that I can afford.
    (ordering a buffalo Dac11 hasn’t helped )
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yo dudes,

Looks like you guys had a good time, and that Ali let you hear some proper hi-fi equipment for a change!

Ali, your OBs look gorgeous, and no doubt sound the business!

We should encourage more of these bake-offs, as it's an excellent way of meeting people you chat to on AoS, as well as hearing some different kit.

The learning experience can often be profound, and above all, it's good fun!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ILOB.

Jerry
    I think one of the best links around building open baffles is Darrel article in enjoy the music. There are many kits I only have experience with the Hawthrone but people Like Steve (SPS) have a lot more experience then me, but if I can do it anyone can.
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/110...o_sterling.htm I use the cheaper Silver Iris version The companys website has a great speaker building forum with lots of friendly advice but between Ali Clive and Steve you have some members with great experience so sure plenty of others to help on AOS too. If you wish I add some links of other manufactures that make DIY speakers let me know
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yo dudes,

Looks like you guys had a good time, and that Ali let you hear some proper hi-fi equipment for a change!

Ali, your OBs look gorgeous, and no doubt sound the business!

We should encourage more of these bake-offs, as it's an excellent way of meeting people you chat to on AoS, as well as hearing some different kit.

Marco.
    Hey Marco,
    have to 2nd your comments about the bake-off's mate.

Its a great way to hear new kit and chill out with like minded bods.
    Ali's opened my eyes to DIY stuff as I said, AND I got to hear an active speaker system, something I was always curious about.

Recommended.

So...where's me chequebook...?

Oh, another thing I hadn't thought about till Ali came over was room treatment? First thing he noticed was that my room sounded quite "live", and would benefit from some damping somewhere...
    The OB's were indeed gorgeous, if not a bit of a shock size wise! As open baffles though they didn't dominate the room the way a massive, say, set of Tannoy's might have?
    Ali thought they interacted with my room a bit better, particulalrly in the bass region...so I think he had some food for thought too.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.

I 3rd it, also a good way of discovering new music
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast