+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange and Wonderful Turntables

I'm ian.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_1601wt_1187

Is this the same mitsubishi as advertised on ebay a while back and listed in original post. It is from a different seller but same location!
    Last edited by peelaaa; 22-02-2012 at 09:59.

I'm Guy.

I'm ChrisB.

Yes, I saw that & thought of Marco. Love the tone-leg!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Yes, I saw that & thought of Marco. Love the tone-leg!
    Yes, Marco should definitely bid for that one. Is the "tone-leg" a Gray?
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

I don't know the Gray well enough to say really, but that's what I assumed it was from my memory of what they look like.

However, a quick Gurgle suggests it might be a Gray 208S like the one on this page
    At 16 inches, it would certainly qualify for the description of a tone-leg!

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I don't know the Gray well enough to say really, but that's what I assumed it was from my memory of what they look like.

However, a quick Gurgle suggests it might be a Gray 208S like the one on this page
    At 16 inches, it would certainly qualify for the description of a tone-leg!
    16"! Better not let Tabatha hear about that!

Mind you, you might have to pay an "arm and a leg" for one of those.

Actually, since the Gray is an American design it uses the American convention: arms designed to play 16" discs were called 16" arms. The arm length (stylus to pivot) is actually 3/4 of this, or 12", which is the British designation. Tabatha should still be impressed however!
    Last edited by Barry; 22-02-2012 at 09:56. Reason: Additional information
    Barry

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The Sony is a glorified 'Sound Burger'
    With all due respect, if you're making a comment like that you have clearly owned neither.

I'm not for a moment suggesting you should sell your LP12/SL1200/401 for one, but the engineering in the Sony is absolutely astonishing and a world away from the Sound Burger.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Bob.

Back OT Nathan, if you fancy a bit of vertical playing from time to time, try a Technics SL7. These go for about £100-150 on eBay, though this one went for more.

I had one when new in the 80s for my bedsit and played it vertically all the time. Recently I bought another one, and a wider SL-QL1 which I'm getting back from Vantage Audio tomorrow tricked out with external PS, damping, copper platter, new feet. These higher end DD linear tracking turntables in the Technics range give current belt drives up to £1500 or more a real run for their money once serviced. And the p-mount cartridge mounting isn't the downer it could be when you can get Jico SAS tips for Technics P22 bodies.

After my SL7 turned up I tried it out vertically - though I don't use it like this now - and did a short video . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    With all due respect, if you're making a comment like that you have clearly owned neither.

I'm not for a moment suggesting you should sell your LP12/SL1200/401 for one, but the engineering in the Sony is absolutely astonishing and a world away from the Sound Burger.
    I was probably exaggerating a little in comparing the Sony with their Sound Burger, but a look at the deck in question does not inspire confidence.

http://ps-f5.com/about-the-sony-ps-f...able-turntable

It was intended to be a ‘fun item’: provision for two headphones, yet no obvious output to a preamp but some, it would appear, did have a short range FM transmitter so you could listen on your portable FM radio. Very strange!

Your right, I haven't owned either and neither I would I sell my TD124/IIs or EMT 930 for one. Nor would I want to subject my records to a Sony PS-F5.

Sorry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12