+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tacima Mains Conditioner.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I have a couple of Tacima's and yesterday i did a quick A-B with my old Living Voice 4 way in my AV system (Yamaha RXV1700/QL1)

It was very apparent that there was quite a difference ! The LV seemed a little more dynamic but also quite harsh at the top end and touch of grain creeping in , the Tacima appears more refined and less forward , seemingly less dynamic ?

I'm going to have to invest in one of David's block's and do some more comparison's.
    Last edited by chris@panteg; 11-03-2011 at 21:52.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    I have a couple of Tacima's and yesterday i did a quick A-B with my old Living Voice 4 way in my AV system (Yamaha RXV1700/QL1)

It was very apparent that there was quite a difference ! The LV seemed a little more dynamic but also quite harsh at the top end and touch of grain creeping in , the Tacima appears more refined and less forward , seemingly less dynamic ?

I'm going to have to invest in one of David's block's and do some more comparison's.
    Its defo more refined in my system..but refined in the way that everythings tighter and more organised?
    Listening to some film soundtrack stuff earlier (Hans Zimmer:Inception) and if anything the music is MORE dynamic when it needs to be.
    BIG musical swells are felt more rather than just heard?

I agree though that compared to being plugged straight into the wall SOMETHING is happening with the dynamics...not less exactly but "different".
    I prefer the difference.

Trying not to over-analyse it too much (been there done that ), its just sounding better.
    More foot tapping, more "natural" sounding rather than refined in my system.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Its defo more refined in my system..but refined in the way that everythings tighter and more organised?
    Listening to some film soundtrack stuff earlier (Hans Zimmer:Inception) and if anything the music is MORE dynamic when it needs to be.
    BIG musical swells are felt more rather than just heard?

I agree though that compared to being plugged straight into the wall SOMETHING is happening with the dynamics...not less exactly but "different".
    I prefer the difference.

Trying not to over-analyse it too much (been there done that ), its just sounding better.
    More foot tapping, more "natural" sounding rather than refined in my system.
    I think i have to agree with you ! Could it just be more noise and hash I'm hearing with my old LV block ? giving an impression of a slightly louder sound , when in fact its just more noise , I think i need to get hold of a quality proven mains block , but not too much money just yet (would like the MG@ £200) .

I think the Tacima seems to work very well in my AV system , I'm wondering if my old LV block is major weak link in my other system now .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Phil.

david, what is sy cable ?
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Gary.

A wee update to my trying out the Tacima with my Touch and Caiman Dac?

As I said, the Dac sounds better.
    It didn't before I fitted a linear PSU and modded the beejezus out of it. Thats Passive mod with film caps, Elna caps, Mutara Regs and the wire link mod.
    Only thing I haven't done, but would like to, is replace the big black smoothing cap with something more fitting the Mutara's.

Anyway, with all that in place the Dac sound better through the Tacima, so its staying.

Plugged the Touch into it today and had a good listen.
    It too sounded better, very transparent now. A smoother "bigger" sound with better dynamic swings and a fair bit more bass. I would assume its because theres less electrical "mush" getting in?
    Go figure... the Touch stays plugged into the Tacima as well.

Nice little upgrade have to say, happy with that!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Oh, forgot to say.

Things improved even more when I changed over my digi coax to one of the Belkin PureAv ones being mentioned on another thread?
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Pr...ffiliateFuture

£5 delivered..and its as good in most areas and even better in some than my NVA Sound Pipe I was using before..and thats worth a BIT more than the Belkin.

BONKERS value for money, as others have said elsewhere its a terrific digi cable.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 13-03-2011 at 01:41.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Jerry.

Only thing I haven't done, but would like to, is replace the big black smoothing cap with something more fitting the Mutara's.

I will be interested to hear what you select to replace the smoothing cap Gary. I guess its the next logical thing for me to try although I must say, I wonder how much better my Standac can sound.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Gary.

Ok Jerry..
    I;ve a PM somewhere from MartinT where we spoke about that, with some specific recommendations.
    Need to dig that one out.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Oh, forgot to say.

Things improved even more when I changed over my digi coax to one of the Belkin PureAv ones being mentioned on another thread?
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Pr...ffiliateFuture

£5 delivered..and its as good in most areas and even better in some than my NVA Sound Pipe I was using before..and thats worth a BIT more than the Belkin.

BONKERS value for money, as others have said elsewhere its a terrific digi cable.
    I'm pleased that the cable works for you too Gaz, but £4 postage is a bit steep.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I'm pleased that the cable works for you too Gaz, but £4 postage is a bit steep.
    It's not so bad if you live around the Manchester area as you can just pop into the store.
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast