+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Naim's new power lead - addressing the controversy

I will give you a free upgrade over the Naim power lead. Drill a hole in the back panel and insert a grommet. Cut off IEC plug and strip cable. Put cable through grommet and solder direct to the mains switch.

IEC plugs and sockets of any ilk are horrible things, even good old Bulgin bakelites are better.

Better in what way?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    Better in what way?
    Because I *hear* it as better having done it, but not with Naim amps, but there is absolutely no reason why they should be any different.

Power leads usually do make a significant difference in the sound, as do all cables, and I do replace all in my systems, including TV and Satellite box...

I did try the realy expensive ones, they sound different, but, for my taste, never found one significantely better that VDH Mainsstream, particularly on players, where they usually make the largest perceived difference...

I use the VDH or less costly power leads, depending on the equipment...
    Antonio Melo Ribeiro

For me this is only an hobby...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I will give you a free upgrade over the Naim power lead. Drill a hole in the back panel and insert a grommet. Cut off IEC plug and strip cable. Put cable through grommet and solder direct to the mains switch.

IEC plugs and sockets of any ilk are horrible things, even good old Bulgin bakelites are better.
    I believe (stand to be corrected, of course), that once a piece of kit has a requirement for juice above a certain point, then hard wired leads are not acceptable from an electrical safety viewpoint. Hence, Naim CD3, Nait 3 etc had hard wired leads, but as things moved up the chain, then IECs became mandatory. I can't think of any piece of serious kit that doesn't use an IEC and I doubt that it's because it's the best way of doing things.

Ed.

If anyone pays more than £4.00 for a mains cable - he needs help.

It's high time all this cable nonsense, including phono and speaker cables, was debunked, there's absolutely no science in it whatsoever and no one could prove there was.

If you want better sound, remember easily your ears are fooled, not just by anticipation but by a subconscious process of transcoding the row made by so many hi fi systems into something "musically involving"

The mere fact that Apple are moving toward their 120 millionth iPod sold ought to be a wake up call.

Has anyone considered how good a PS3 and decent Active speakers might sound and how it would compare with a Naim system complete with new mains cable?

There is a reason why so many are able to buy second hand and from Ebay and it's because they are deserting hi fi, they are fed up with wasting a fortune on "upgrades" that don't improve the sound or may even make it worse!

Discuss that lot rationally!!!!!!!!!

Stereo MIC all over again... I feel banning in the air...
    Antonio Melo Ribeiro

For me this is only an hobby...

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley James View Post
    The mere fact that Apple are moving toward their 120 millionth iPod sold ought to be a wake up call.
    What have iPods got to do with music?

Still, 120 million lemmings can't all be wrong, I suppose.

Ed.

Ashley,

I don't think anyone really wants another circular subjectivist/objectivist debate here that's been done to death elsewhere. The ethos of this site is basically one of trusting your ears. People who are sufficiently discerning are capable of allowing for potential expectation bias (one which cuts both ways btw)

Aftermarket power leads do make a difference and that difference isn't necessarily an improvement. I can think of at least one example that is actually worse in a musical reproduction sense than a very basic lead you'd use to power your computer.

Microphony, RFI and other sources of noise being added to the signal can all be addressed by paying attention to that very last metre or so of wire.

Still, 120 million lemmings can't all be wrong, I suppose.
    Indeed. There is the mass market throwaway music commodity and there is The Art of Sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    I believe (stand to be corrected, of course), that once a piece of kit has a requirement for juice above a certain point, then hard wired leads are not acceptable from an electrical safety viewpoint. Hence, Naim CD3, Nait 3 etc had hard wired leads, but as things moved up the chain, then IECs became mandatory. I can't think of any piece of serious kit that doesn't use an IEC and I doubt that it's because it's the best way of doing things.

Ed.
    There is nothing safer than a fixed mains lead and it breaks no regulations.

I can only presume one reason manufacturers do it is so they or others can sell you expensive add on upgrades. There are also manufacturing and packing considerations, and now also it is required to sell equipment with a wired up mains lead. That means fixed leads would mean different production for Shuko and 13 amp, where as with IEC you just swop the lead. And IEC has become the standard, however like anything to do with hi-fi there is only one thing better than the best component money can buy and that is no component, so the best IEC plug and socket is no IEC plug and socket.

Regarding the latter post that cables make no difference I am afraid that is nonsense. *The* most important consideration in Hi-Fi design is interface, internally within products and externally. Problem is there is little understanding. Example - an amplifier - surely one thing - wrong! it is at least three amplifiers (gain stages) and each has its own interface and its own requirements. So feed it all with one design of power supply, one design of earth path, and you are making compromises. Same with cables, simple cable inductance capacitance and resistance when seen in conjunction with output and input impedance either side of it has definite sonic influence. Even when you don't get involved in the more controversial sonic aspects such as dielectric and core material, run/burn in, directionality etc. BUT without doubt the biggest source of cable differences is construction, as with twisting braiding or parallel. Litz and Goertz construction techniques IMO are one of the biggest aborations to inflict the hi-fi industry. Deliberately distorting the sound!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast