+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Desoldering Made Easy

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    And following on from that, always use a solder pump (sucker). I cannot understand how anyone gets on with desolder wick, it would drive me mad.
    The beauty of the Hakko 808 is that it has the pump built in so you just place the hot nozzle over the component leg and pad. The solder melts immediately, then you press the trigger and suction is so strong the solder is removed instantly. The component falls out and the holes are clean and the pads look like new. I have done five 640P's since buying it with 30 caps and 4 eight leg op amps each, that's 460 desolders so far and never even looked like having a failure.

I thought the reviews I read were fantasy until I tried one, Fry's have a money back policy if your not satisfied so it was a no risk situation.

But for me there is no way I am taking this thing back, I wish I bought one earlier, it's pure magic.
    Phillip.

Records... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the turntable Perspective. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new records, to seek out new artists and new sounds, to boldly go where no hyper elliptical diamond stylus has gone before!

Polk Audio SDA 1C + Yamaha C4 / M2 + Custom Made DIY Phono Stage + Pro-Ject Perspective + Pro-Ject Speed Box II + Benz Micro Ace = Magic.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
    I thought the reviews I read were fantasy until I tried one, Fry's have a money back policy if your not satisfied so it was a no risk situation.

But for me there is no way I am taking this thing back, I wish I bought one earlier, it's pure magic.
    Excellent stuff, I may buy one the next time I'm in Houston (my sister lives there). A step-down transformer is no problem.

P.S. where is the Fry's?

Excellent stuff, I may buy one the next time I'm in Houston (my sister lives there). A step-down transformer is no problem.

P.S. where is the Fry's?
    It's on I-45 North and West Rd not far from George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH).

Physical address and phone number:

Fry's Electronics
    10241 N. Fwy I - 45
    Houston, TX, 77037

Ph:281-931-2200

It's close to where I work and live so I go there often, too often.
    Phillip.

Records... the Vinyl Frontier. These are the voyages of the turntable Perspective. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new records, to seek out new artists and new sounds, to boldly go where no hyper elliptical diamond stylus has gone before!

Polk Audio SDA 1C + Yamaha C4 / M2 + Custom Made DIY Phono Stage + Pro-Ject Perspective + Pro-Ject Speed Box II + Benz Micro Ace = Magic.

I'm ChrisB.

George Bush In(ter)continental Airport
    .......I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere..........maybe not.

I'm Jan.

It's close to where I work and live so I go there often, too often.
    My colleague almost went every week when he did stints i San Jose. Now he got a one year contract in Plano hand, but the wife arrived from Brazil a month ago so I guess that he do not have time/excuse to go that often
    Jan.

Main: Touch -> Beresford Caiman II -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Duet (Audiocom)
    -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B

Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD + 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

I'm colin.

And following on from that, always use a solder pump (sucker). I cannot understand how anyone gets on with desolder wick, it would drive me mad.
    Agree

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Don't mind desolder braid myself, though I use a sucker too.

I'm Jan.

Over the counter they put sales tax of 8.25% on top of that, but maybe not if it's shipped internationally. They do ship internationally so it may be worth inquiring how much that would be. It could work out a lot cheaper than buying one locally.
    Correct they do ship some of their goods internationally and without local sales tax.
    However "Estimated shipping" 114,14$

With exstra tip and filter - total: 319,09$

Changes are that the parcel will get caught on entry which means +tax + 25% sales tax + fee.... grand total : 440$

I think I will wait for a colleague to carry it home... thr freight would then be a pint or two
    Jan.

Main: Touch -> Beresford Caiman II -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Duet (Audiocom)
    -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B

Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD + 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123