+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Michael Wolff Audio's (the best I have done so far)

Default Michael Wolff Audio's (the best I have done so far)

Will list components and other pictures as time allows. Hope you enjoy. I do.

The components

Pioneer Elite Pro 930 HD 43” Plasma

Ultimate Monitors by Karl Schuemann of AudioMachina
    http://www.audiomachina.com

Preamp: Gryphon Sonata Allegro
    dual mono

CD Player: Gryphon Mikado

Amp: Gryphon Encore
    dual mono – 500 watts per channel

DVD player: Pioneer Elite 79AVI

Subs: REL Storm III
    left and right channel subs on Symposium platforms

Tuner: McIntosh MR78 (perfect condition with Richard Modafferi modifications)

Component Stands: Sound Mechanics Performance Series Platform
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/s...ics/cones.html

Power Cords: Michael Wolff Power Cord
    http://www.wolffaudio.com/

IC: Balanced and single: Michael Wolff silver-gold-carbon

Speaker Cable: Michael Wolff

Dual Power Conditioners: Michael Wolff

Acoustic Revive Ground conditioner
    (RGC-24) under all components
    http://www.acoustic-revive.com/engli.../rgc24_01.html

Thought I might as well post some pics of some of my creations.

Last edited by Wolffy; 05-02-2008 at 10:08.

chopped liver here aye?

Hi Michael, congratulations on being the first person I've seen here using some form of acoustic treatment and what looks like a bias backlight for the TV

I was fascinated to learn more about the Ultimate Monitors. A bit of Googling resulted in this which goes in to some detail about the design philosophy. Do you notice much roll-off at the top end from the silk dome tweeter?

You're also running a pair of large Rel subs. In my room designs I tend to run either one large single or four smaller subs. I've found a pair is trickier to balance because they tend to interact more noticeably, and particularly so where the room has seating areas all over rather than a sweet spot. Have you found similar issues and come up with any interesting solutions?

BTW, lovely cables. I'm a real magpie for that kind of audio jewellery.

All the best

Chris

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Chopped liver?

Nice work there, Michael. I like your use of wood on the mains conditioner - class!

Interesting AV set-up there, too

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Chris,
    Have not noticed any lack of high frequency air with the silk dome tweeters.
    This is a comment made by Karl who manufactured the speakers. I must say that I agree with him as I have had many speakers that were so harsh that they easily caused listener fatigue in just a short time.
    http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...diomachina.htm
    "I will say first that you are the only person who has ever asked for more HF response. Most people consider it to be "just right". However, there is no question that 1" silk-dome tweeters, even state-of-the-art units such as the one we use, will never reach beyond 20kHz, and most will be rolling off before that. While it is easy to ask for more extension, it is a very difficult thing to deliver in the context of all the other (more) important design requirements. In this particular case, the extraordinary "disappearing act" that these speakers achieve is in no small part due to the basic physical design of the speaker and the front baffle. The tweeter is set into a waveguide for perfect time alignment, which is absolutely paramount. This waveguide will not work properly with any inverted-dome tweeter, because the wavefront propagation does not match. This instantly eliminates any of the current inverted-dome beryllium or diamond tweeters from consideration, and puts you back at metal domes, which to my ears have never sounded as good overall as a top-level silk dome. This is a long way of saying that in my opinion, when every important aspect of the design is considered, the design compromise is as good as can be achieved at this time."
    And another hyperlink from a different reviewer.
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/ces2004/glackin/
    And one more.
    http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...temonitors.htm
    The "friend" that John Beavers speaks of in his article was me since I was showing with Karl that year. His speakers and my wires"
    I guess this just confirms that you can put the same piece of equipment out for people's likes and dislikes and you still end up with such varied opinions.

With regard to the subs, they are rolled off at 40 hz. and each sits on top of a Syposium platform. Above the subs are custom made sound panels from a company here in the states that I just love. SnapTex acoustic panels. They are a small company here in my state. Not advertised much but they are some of the best and most affordable designs I have seen or heard. Used them when I was showing at the "The Show" in Las Vegas.

Marco,
    Thanks for the comment on my conditioner. Yes was very proud of the workmanship on that baby. Unfortunately the competition had too much of a foothold and I decided to retire the design after I sold a few and kept two for myself.

+ Reply to Thread