+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are these speakers worth refurbing?

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Not maybe, they are 100% fixable Take it from me that there are 101 ways of getting round a damaged PCB track

So that's that worry out of the way
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Good to see you about again by the way Rich
    +1
    Nice to see you back Rich
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Take it from me that there are 101 ways of getting round a damaged PCB track....
    Yup, and the best way is not to use any in the first place and hard-wire all the crossover components together instead!

Welcome back, Rich!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    Unfortnately the re-capping of the Audiomaster crossovers was one of my disasters. This was my first attempt at DIY electronics and it did not go well. I purchased some new Electrolytic Caps from Falcon Acoustics but my ham fisted attempts at soldering meant I ended up damaging the metal circuit path on this first crossover board, at this stage I decided to call it quits and have left the second board untouched. I am hoping that the damaged board may be salvageable by using some form of connector between the caps but have decided to leave this until I can get someone who knows what they are doing to look at them.
    Email me some pics if you can. I need pics of both sides of the PCB. After I have studied the pics I'll let you know if and when you can send them to me for corrective action. Or pass by with them .

I'm RichardbutpreferRich.

Hi Stan, many thanks for the kind offer of help.

The problem I will have is that once the crossovers are repaired the speaker wiring will need re-soldering in place and I am not confident that I would be able to do this. A fellow forumer has recommended a repairer who may be able to assist and is within traveling distance. If he is willing to have the complete speakers to work on then this may be the easiest option as he will also then be able to re attach or replace the wiring. I will contact him early in January to see if he can assist, if not then I will gladly be in touch.

Below are the photos you requstested, one cap has still to be replaced. Those of a nervous disposition may wish to overt their eyes

Rear shot, damage is in the bottom right corner.

Rich

Source: Squeezebox Touch, Chinese AK4396 DAC, Pioneer PL-112D + Shure M75ED type2, Pioneer PD-7700 CDP
    Amp: Sansui AU-505
    Speakers: Ditton 44's

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Easy as pie 1 minute job even allowing for the soldering iron to heat up

Pity you weren't nearer, I'd do the lot for you including refitting the crossovers etc for a tinnie

Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Kai.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    My apologies for not replying to this thread and Kai’s PM’s at the time
    No problem, Mothman, I actually forgot what my question for you was. I'm sure you'll find someone to do the soldering for you.

I'm Kai.

Oh yes, I remembered! Mothman, have you sketched out the Xover schematic and have you recorded the element values? Not all cap and resistor markings are clearly visible in your original pic, and the caps in the new pic are too shiny.

I'm RichardbutpreferRich.

Hi Kai

Below is a list of caps that I ordered to do both crossovers

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/alc...-loss-50v.html

Alcap 4.00uF Low Loss 50VDC Electrolytic Capacitor
    Capacitor Tolerance 5% Qty 4

Alcap 8.00uF Low Loss 50VDC Electrolytic Capacitor
    Capacitor Tolerance 5% Qty 2

Alcap 12.00uF Low Loss 50VDC Electrolytic Capacitor
    Capacitor Tolerance 2% Qty 2

Alcap 16.00uF Low Loss 50VDC Electrolytic Capacitor
    Capacitor Tolerance 2% Qty 2

I have not yet acquired replacements for the small 0.33uf caps, hopefully the tech who makes good my handy work will be able to source these.

Hope this helps
    Rich

Source: Squeezebox Touch, Chinese AK4396 DAC, Pioneer PL-112D + Shure M75ED type2, Pioneer PD-7700 CDP
    Amp: Sansui AU-505
    Speakers: Ditton 44's

I'm Kai.

Many thanks, this is much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast