I have a pair of Audiomaster MLS4 Speakers which I bought in 1980 and I wondered how these would be considered in comparison to modern day speakers. They have seen little use in recent years and could seriously do with a refurb. I think the drive units are OK but the cabinets are water stained on top, the walnut veneer has faded on the top & sides and the grilles are in poor shape. I would guess that after 30 years the crossovers are also probably long overdue for a recap.

I opened one up today and I think both the drive units may have been made by Audax, the woofer was marked HD20B25H and the tweeters HD100B but only the tweeter had an Audax sticker on it. From memory the speakers cost me around £200 at the time, which was about 5 weeks wages for a hard up teenager.

Whilst I am willing to try and restore the cabinets and grilles myself, I would need to take the crossovers to an audio repair shop to get them recapped which is likely be expensive and so I would be pleased to here from those in the know whether they feel these speakers are worth spending money on? I appreciate that this question may be somewhat subjective.