+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Are these speakers worth refurbing?

I'm charles.

They're worth anything from £50 to £200 depending on condition including cabinets and electronics.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    Those Audax tweeters could well have reduced output due to ferro fluid evaporation
    I don't think ferrofluid was used on that generation of Audax tweeters.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    will geoff's fix in the other thread solve the issue.
    Quite possibly. After all, you have nothing to lose by trying it out.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Simon.

Id say whatever you are willing to pay on a refurb, go to a shop and listen to new speakers at the same price. If they are better than yours it's probably a no brainer what to do. I'd heavily bet that whats possible now at this price is much more than you'd get in the 80s with economies of scale in production now etc.

My incling would be you'd probably be throwing good money at bad by refurbing them. If you want to improve sound I'd buy new ones.

I'm charles.

Walpurgis, I can assure you they were.

I'm charles.

By the way, I used to sell the full range of Audiomaster speakers and have taken many of those tweeters apart.

I'm Geoff.

Walpurgis, I can assure you they were.
    Hmm. I'm assuming these are an HD100 D25 variant. If so, I see no mention of ferrofluid in the spec. This model dates back to the seventies and ferrofluid was not in general use then. (which is why I like old tweeters)

I'm talking about Martyn's MLS4's by the way.

I'm charles.

Walpurgis - you are incorrect. Apart from my previous comments, I still remember the original blurb published in the press announcing the MLS4 which incidentally was launched after the MLS5 and which used the same tweeter.

I'm charles.

By the way, there were 2 variants of this tweeter - one with and one without ferro fluid. Audiomaster, along with many other box stuffers of the time, used the ferro fluid cooled variant.

I'm Geoff.

By the way, there were 2 variants of this tweeter - one with and one without ferro fluid. Audiomaster, along with many other box stuffers of the time, used the ferro fluid cooled variant.
    Could be. I wasn't aware of that though.

I might take the front plate (+ dome) off my last pair of HD100 D25 units that I still have tucked away and see what they have in the coil gap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910