+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FLAC players for Android

I'm Will.

Default FLAC players for Android

Like the old proverbial buses you wait for ages for an Android FLAC player then all of a sudden a whole pack arrive (or more likely my eye's been off the ball);

http://www.androidzoom.com/free_andr.../flac%20player

I've been using winamp (beta) for a while and whilst I was waiting for them to provide FLAC support it looks like a whole load of other developers have been adding it to their product.

I'm evaluating powerAMP at the moment (on my HTC Desire), free download, eventually £4 or so...supposed to handle 24/96 FLAC

Mp3 gapless still doesn't work properly, has some very flashy tone/DSP controls, no replay gain...but it does play flac!

Anyone found any other good alternatives...?
    Cheers, Will

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Cheers Will, I'll give it a go.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Cheers Will, I'll give it a go.
    looks like some interesting equaliser/preamp controls, and it also allows one to select a specific music folder...how long before one could point it at a USB drive from an epad, or even a network directory?
    Cheers, Will

I'm Will.

Been messing around with powerAMP...using our old friend DSOFTM as a benchmark, on a HTC Desire with Sennheiser CX300IIs

The gapless mp3 playback almost works, but not quite, still annoying enough to be useless.

Standard 16/44.1 FLAC plays back very well, and gapless works too.

The FLAC does sound better then the mp3 (and I use VBR mp3 at setting 1 so it's good quality mp3), I wondered whether I'd be able to tell the difference on a phone.

I have a 24/44.1 version of Spiritualised - Let It Come Down, generated by dBpoweramp (I wish someone would come up with an original product name) from an HDCD, it fails to play it, well tries to but it sounds like a tape being FF'd on seek.

So even though they claim 24/96 playback it can't do 24/44.1, perhaps the limiting factor is the desire CPU, but it is 1ghz

But the FLAC sounds so good I may stick with it

Edit; One minor issue is that the app uses the Android media library for it's catalogue, the Android media library ignores the FLAC files, however one can also play via a file browser library, so the FLAC albums are accessible from there...not ideal, I wonder if other FLAC players have the same issue...

Tone controls and DSP effects only ruin the sound...not worth having for FLAC playback
    Last edited by WAD62; 04-02-2011 at 15:06.
    Cheers, Will

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Good to know Will. I have the same phone and the same headphones!

I'm Will.

Now that I can play FLAC I need a bit more space, I've just ordered one of these 32Gb Sandisk SDHC at £39...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/32GB-SAN-DISK-...6#ht_500wt_954

Nearly down to £1 a gig...looks a reasonably reputable seller, we'll see
    Cheers, Will

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Let me know if it's pukka Will, that's a good price.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Let me know if it's pukka Will, that's a good price.
    Looks like the seller has got quite a bit of business invested in ebay, and is selling a full range of memory products, so at least it's not an isolated sale...fingers crossed
    Cheers, Will

I'm Will.

Well the SDHC card arrived yesterday, looks like a genuine SanDisk, it also comes with an SD adaptor which is useful (if you have an SD reader on your laptop that is).

It formats to 32G, which is nice.

However I think there may be a problem with powerAMP's ability to read over 16Gb, I put about 16.5Gb worth of FLAC on there, and it failed to read more than the first 7 albums, then it trashed the rest of the files requiring a reformat....

That's rather a pain as it was FLAC that prompted me to expand the card capacity in the first ducking place

I'm now checking if it is indeed powerAMP and not the card itself, so I've removed powerAMP and am loading 18Gb of mp3 for use with winamp...

By the way it's rather slow writing to it, but it is only a type 2 sdhc
    Cheers, Will

I'm inthescottishmafia.

That's a pain Will, hopefully you'll get it sorted.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast