+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tablet audio. The state of play?

I'm Chris.

Default Tablet audio. The state of play?

I'm an old fogey who is feeling a bit last century. I don't have a mobile phone or an ipad or a tablet or any other kind of whatnot. But I've been thinking that an Android tablet could replace my Sony cd walkman and Roberts Sports 984 radio for my some of my audio needs. The Roberts has developed a fault. I believe you can run a BBC iPlayer app on a tablet and it can also double as a audio-server (LMS or MPD) controller with the right apps.

A couple of questions. What's the audio headphone SQ like on a basic tablet using basic in ear headphones? Is it as good as a sony cd walkman or cheap and nasty sounding?

What's the state of “USB audio” on tablets? I've read some kind of USB audio exists in Android 4.1 onwards, but it doesn't work as on a PC as the connected device treats the tablet as a slave. So apart from power draw issues, the protocol is backwards and connecting a USB DAC to a tablet is still a no go. Is that right?
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm Simon.

As it stands unless you want to 'root' your android tablet there is typically no usb audio out available, certainly that's the case on my nexus 7. That said the headphone out quality is very good, though of course memory is limited. if you use a Ipad or Ipad mini then of course you have usb out via the camera kit add on, but at a cost.

That said, ipad+ another pc to stream to it is an elegant solution if you have a decent usb dac.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Chris.

I was looking at sub £100 tablets, e.g FreeLander PD10, so I'm not thinking about ipads. I was thinking of hooking up a raspberry pi to the DAC that's currently not seeing much use via my Rotel CD. I suspect any tablet I had would then see more use as a controller.

Now Triode has given the world "squeezelite" which you can use via a "Localplayer" plugin on a Logitech Media Server the PI is more attractive as a cheap SBT alternative ,and is simple to implement.

Assuming a basic FreeLander PD10 type tablet is not rubbish, this plus the RPI would cost about the same or less than say a Nexus 7.
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.

I'm Marc.

Android devices have great potential as remote controls for various FOSS music servers, I've been enjoying using MpDroid on my phone to drive the MPD server on my laptop and Subsonic / Madsonic to stream audio via my Pi.

(I have large hard drives on both machines connected via rsync so they work as a back up for each other too, if I want to play on the 'big' speakers I power up the laptop and use MPD, all other digital listening is done from the Pi).

I can't comment on SQ particularly but I've been using the Subsonic Android app to listen to the Pi in the car when I'm out and about, it sometimes takes a bit of buffering before it gets going on 3G but in general it's very good, and you can set different encodings depending on whether you're on wifi or mobile network (to save your data allowance) - The reason I cant comment on SQ is the stereo in my car is so rubbish that I've wound the 3g connection down to 96kbs and it still sounds as good as the radio (this is how bad the stereo sounds rather than how good the phone sounds!)

I'm Simon.

I use the itunes remote on my Nexus7 to drive my macbook pro, it's a way better interface than similar software on my iphone. I would likew to be able to take just the nexus with my portable usb dac and headphones though as a limited library solution. Alas so far with ALAC as my file of choice and no usb out that not a go.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Chris.

A bit more reading would suggest the sub £100 tablet market is full of some very so-so products.

That brings me to the Nexus7 and things like the Samsung galaxy tab2 7. I'd prefer to have the TF slot and USB host of the Samsung, but not surprisingly the Nexus already has the Android JB 4.2.2 upgrades available and the hackers have been busy since the Nexus7 first appeared.

As to connecting the Nexus7 to a USB DAC , there seems to be two routes. As Simon said, a "rooted device" with moded ROM & kernel, e.g:

http://mehrvarz.github.com/nexus-7-usbrom/

Assuming you can work how to use it. This one really got me interested as it claims to work with Hifimediy Sabre and BERESFORD Caiman.

The other is to try this app which you can trial or buy (£3), no need to "root" the tablet:

http://www.gizmag.com/extream-app-us...android/25907/

http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...orderpro&hl=en

It's less clear which USB DACs might work with this app.
    Chris

Stuff

Nonsense

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

There are some nice USB DAC/Headphone amps out there for well under a ton - the £70 Fiio is well respected in many quarters and is small and light enough...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

I recommend the Blackberry Playbook.

Must surely be the best tablet out there for the money - £125 at PC World for the 64Gb version.

I think it sounds vey good straight from the headphone output and there's a volume boost feature (with warning pop-up when you use it) which makes it more line-out level. I THINK it can play 24/96 files - not found a definate spec for the audio chip yet.

Software for the Playbook is still growing and Android amps can be converted to run on it too.

Proper multi-tasking too unlike iPads! Some apps do deliberately shut down the sound when you move to another but that's down to the app and others don't.

Doesn't play flacs with the media player supplied so you have to find another player so that it will.

Full access to the file system, easy to either sync or just copy files across or even download them direct, including bittorrent or rar/zip files with the right apps.

Easy tether to your phone via bluetooth (with any phone that can act as a 3G modem - even my 2009 Nokia can do that) or connect via wifi (so you don't need to shell out for yet another SIM for another device).

Anyway, well worth a look and they might update the OS to BB10 in the future which could make it even better to use. Everything is very smooth in use so far that I've experienced.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Yep deffo 24/96 with the Wolfson WM8994E codec chip inside.

If you have to listen via the speakers, it's good to know that they are actually either side of the screen! Unlike many other tablets - real stereo, what an acheivement

I'm Confused.

Can I throw my cat amongst your pigeons? I have a BB Playbook 64GB that I bought on an auction site, not the usual one, for well less than £100. I have installed a music player program called Neutron on it and I confidentaly assert that the resulting SQ through headphones is way better than any portable music source I've tried, and I've tried a few. Another vote for the Playbook.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast