+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Me and the 1210 are gunna have us some me time....

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    home made interconnects against valhalla, that will be an eye opener, mind you I tested a home brew mains lead against a brahma and mine beat it convincingly so maybe you have found a niche, start selling them!
    HMMMMMMmmmmm..... Might start selling them but I dont think enough people would buy them. I fitted pure silver tonearm cables with Teflon dielectric and added polypropylene + aluminium jackets to help protect against vibration, RFI and EMI. I terminated them in Eichmann silver bullets to my old original 1210 tonearm and it sounded very good . I stripped this away from the old tonearm last night and added some more Eichmanns to the opposite end and voila! Early indications are that on certain vinyl (thrash/heavy metal) there is no difference. Other stuff like vocal, jazz, prog the valhalla's seem markedly ahead. I did note that my old Marantz CD63se sound $hit loads better now using the homebrew silver interconnects!

Don't expect to hear any difference when listening to heavy metal records; most of them have crappy production (for instance, Venom's debut sported one of the worst recordings ever).
    My system:

1. Technics SL-1210Mk2 (stock... For now)/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge/Musical Fidelity V-LPS preamp
    2. Philips DVP-9000S Cineos SACD/DVD player
    3. Audio Analogue Primo Settanta integrated amplifier
    4. Klipsch RB-25 loudspeakers
    5. Monster Cable Interlink 250 interconnects
    6. Roister (that's a Greek loudspeaker company) OFC speaker cables
    7. Atacama Nexus speaker stands

Konstantinos.

I'm Andrew.

My upgrades have had to put on hold for a wee while! i developed a problem with my SME V or Nordost TYR tonearm cable. I'm having the SME sent upto audio origami full overhaul I'll update this thread when I have a little more information!

I'm Andrew.

The SME V, and TYR tonearm cable have been sent to Audio-Origami for some serious tweaks. Heres what I intend having done to the V

1. Re-wire with teflon coated silver.
    2. Silver cartridge tags
    3. The cartridge tags will be directly attached to the internal rewiring just like
    a technoarm.
    4. Tonearm dampened even further.
    5. Bearing checked and re-oiled.
    6. Silicone cueing dampening refil.
    7. Tyr tonearm cable terminated with Eichman silver bullets rather than those
    crappy neutriks.

This should make things more clinical and forensic which is just how I like it The adjust+ software has been dispatched so I cant wait to get the V back and then start to properly fettle!!

MartinT Guest

I once made the mistake of buying a Nordost El Dorado silver power cable. I just couldn't get a good sound from it, no matter where I placed it. An ordinary RA Powerkord absolutely trashed it. Never bought Nordost again.

I'm Ron.

Default RA pwr cord

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I once made the mistake of buying a Nordost El Dorado silver power cable. I just couldn't get a good sound from it, no matter where I placed it. An ordinary RA Powerkord absolutely trashed it. Never bought Nordost again.
    Hi there Martin, I too use RA/Kimber power cords and the lower cost ones are good value for the outlay. Just goes to show you don't have to hand over the content of your bank account to get good sound, does it not ?

As a matter of interest do you use one of Russ's distribution blocks (the wedge shaped one) and if you do what do you think of them. At present I use one of their strips (daisy chain one with additional earth connection). If you don't use a RA strip what do you use or recommend, exclude the mega mega bucks ones please

I think that the former ed of Hi Fi+, Roy Gregory, use to go orgasmic over Nordost and the loom theory/practice, I believe he ended up working for them?

Another power cable I would like looking into is the Vertex AQ ones. Know anything about these?

Cheers

Ron

MartinT Guest

Hi Ron

I do have a long RA distribution strip - it predates the wedgy ones. I use it for ancillary (video) equipment. It works just fine and is itself plugged in to an Isotek Evo 3 Mira video/audio filter. My main system distribution is straight from a PS Audio Powerplant Premier, I'm afraid - megabucks! It provides five clean isolated zones of regenerated power to the main system components.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this is an interesting comment I intended making up some silver power cords using some pure silver with teflon and cotton dialectic. I quite like the pure silver plug which mains cables r us are advertising, this with a well produced and designed cable protection should make for a good cable. I intend producing some pure silver power cords but they will be hard wired into my timestep HE powerpack and that way we get rid of the need of balanced / unbalanced connectors. In fact thats were the next set of "tweaks" will probably be based in and around the timestep power supply. But I think i need to get the tonearm back from AO and give these another month of being broken in and reviewing to see if any improvements have been made. I'll probably start tweaking the timestep power supply march / april time, improve the shielding, improve the fuse and cabling. I've still to finish designing the sorbothane bath for the techies PCB!!!

I'm David.

up-grades need to be done one at a time to gauge the improvements (if any) IMHO

I'm Ron.

Default Silver mains

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this is an interesting comment I intended making up some silver power cords using some pure silver with teflon and cotton dialectic. I quite like the pure silver plug which mains cables r us are advertising, this with a well produced and designed cable protection should make for a good cable. I intend producing some pure silver power cords but they will be hard wired into my timestep HE powerpack and that way we get rid of the need of balanced / unbalanced connectors. In fact thats were the next set of "tweaks" will probably be based in and around the timestep power supply. But I think i need to get the tonearm back from AO and give these another month of being broken in and reviewing to see if any improvements have been made. I'll probably start tweaking the timestep power supply march / april time, improve the shielding, improve the fuse and cabling. I've still to finish designing the sorbothane bath for the techies PCB!!!
    Hi Andrew, I too use the Timestep HE power supply for my 1210, MN bearing, copper platter so will be interested in your findings. As to grounding the HE PSU I followed the recommendation on this forum and attached the TS HE earth tag to the OV bottom left of the printed circuit board, I can't say I heard any difference having frist attached as per instruction sheet, maybe its me but bottom left is a better earthing connection. J7 of Audio Origami rewired my Linn Ekos for me plus damping etc. I did not get on with the Kondo cartridge tags, very fragile, so I had Johnny put the Clearaudio tags on instead. I used a TS anti resonator between my AT OC9II cartridge and the Ekos headshell but it seems to suck the life out of music playback so its coming out and I will go back to common practice of mating only cartridge to headshell, no resonator in between One has to try and experiment .

I'm waiting for the performance trial between the Timestep HE PSU and the Paul Hynes SR5 that Martin T and Marco use only out of curiosity as I've gone as far with my 1210 as I want to go for the time being... there are certain aspects of my Linn LP12, cirkus, modded subschassis that I miss such as the timber of wood bodied instruments, viz: cello, violin, double bass, conga drums, flutes, Bosendorfer grand pianos, etc., which I enjoyed more from my LP12, however, as stated I have to refit the cartridge being used on my 1210 first and see if I feel the same way, a pesky job switching cartridges etc, no wonder people just go with computer downloads and cd?

Ron
    Last edited by JazzBones; 15-02-2011 at 20:28. Reason: Original wrong spelling of cartridge!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast