+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Me and the 1210 are gunna have us some me time....

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    You won't need to mess about as the one I will send you has been optimizes for RFI etc, etc. I will advise what exactly is in it later as I have a few orders to go and do now. The good thing is as you say you can try it in a few different areas to see what happens, it has a good plug on already and I will put a super duper fuse in it for you as well, pm your address and I will post it off asap.

BTW despite what anyone else says, rhodium is not as good a conductor of electricity as other metals, silver is the best proven by simple laws of physics, then copper then gold. So silver plated copper would be about the best commercially available for hi-fi use. I happen to have what I think is the world's only Pure Silver IEC connector as well. Unless someone knows otherwise.

Just out of interest, where does platinum sit in the league table?

And what about carbon? VDH seem use carbon a lot.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Mark,
    Oxidized silver is still a good conductor, no need to strip them down at all.
    Really? I wouldn't have thought so looking at it

Actually i have never tested the oxidisation for resistance, i'll check it out, but it sure doesn't look nice

It goes black if left long enough without cleaning..
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm David.

Default Conductivity of metals Used in Hi-Fi

I thought this article was quite interesting myself.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Really? I wouldn't have thought so looking at it

Actually i have never tested the oxidisation for resistance, i'll check it out, but it sure doesn't look nice

It goes black if left long enough without cleaning..
    Quite right mate, I spent 10 years working in a jewelers when I left school and like you said earlier about cleaning plugs, we had to clean the silver jewelery every week as it went brown with the strong lights in the window making it tarnish quicker!

At least I know where to buy decent silver cleaner and cleaning cloths from!

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    Just out of interest, where does platinum sit in the league table?

And what about carbon? VDH seem use carbon a lot.
    Platinum I have no idea but even if it was top a 1 metre cable would probably cost 10 times more than the Nordost Odin? I think carbon is used as an insulator is it not?

Palladium is used for interconnects to devastating effect, this is one such beast below, costs £3800 for a 1 metre pair:-

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi David,

Mark,
    Oxidized silver is still a good conductor, no need to strip them down at all.
    Indeed. And I suspect that oxidised silver is still a better conductor than, say, untarnished Rhodium?

Interesting chart, btw!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quite right mate, I spent 10 years working in a jewelers when I left school and like you said earlier about cleaning plugs, we had to clean the silver jewelery every week as it went brown with the strong lights in the window making it tarnish quicker!

At least I know where to buy decent silver cleaner and cleaning cloths from!
    Interesting what was said in that stuff you put up though Dave, i'm not sure if they are stating that oxidized silver is better than gold (as gold doesn't at all) but it says oxidized silver is better than the same but copper.. Click it

oxidization.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of it, i guess if you have two clean silver terminals & connect them together where they are joined it won't oxidise, just stop air getting to it will prevent it

I'm still going to test it out on some totally oxidised 925 standard silver & see if there is more resistance than with no tarnish
    Bests, Mark

I think carbon is used as an insulator is it not?
    Carbon is a conductor, but not one of the better ones
    Bests, Mark

I'm Neil.

I really don't like the sound of VDH Carbon cables. I remember when they first came to market. The shop I worked in brought some in...Firsts and Seconds....yuck

Regards D S D L

I'm David.

I am a mine of use(less) ful information depending on your point of view, the conductivity chart is on my website and had been downloaded by a LOT of people so has the UK mains supply, see for yourself if you need some toilet reading.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast