+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: The DAC side of the force

I'm Peter.

Is the 7510+ ready to come out of the pipe ?
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm Phil.

This is a cut and paste from the post i sent in october,i've used the dac everyday since,i love the thing................(from oct 08)>>Now i've had more time to listen i am very pleased with the mod Stan has done on the dac.

More bass,it has more bounce,the mid is very open and clear,top end is extended,you can hear more decay.it has far more detail.

It sounds faster than the old unit,more foot tappy,and it sounds bigger,it just makes you want to listen,i used to use my squeezebox just for internet radio and background music and use the saturn for serious listening,now i can listen to either and feel i'm not missing out on anything.

Its weird how it makes 128kb mp3 sound nearly as good as 320kb mp3.I can honestly say i've never heard mp3 sound so good.

Stans onto a winner here,its the best £40 i've ever spent on an upgrade.i could not go back to the unit as it was.Very highly recommended
    Phil's bits & pieces

Rega Saturn R...Rega 3/Linn k9...Leema Tucana 2...Neat Ultimatum mf5...Squeezebox Touch/Teddy Pardo power supply...Teddy Pardo Dac...nva sound cords...Gotham speaker cable bi-wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    My experiences with using the Squeezebox volume control is that it robs the life from the music.

Don't touch it, it ain't worth bothering with !

Chris
    It depends on how much digital attenuation you use, which is why the Transporter has internal jumpers so you can set the output to match the input sensitivity of the power amplifier.

I get the cleanest sound taking a variable output from the Squeezebox to the Beresford DAC and the fixed out from the DAC to the power amp. I need to use no more than 20% attenuation (no less than 80% volume) for normal listening. 90% volume would commonly be used in this mode.

I don't do it that way because I have three digital inputs to the DAC - Squeezebox, Virgin Cable Box and TV. I take the variable output from the Beresford to the power amp because the TV and Virgin box have no variable outs. This is my second best option.

I have a third option: fixed out from the Squeezebox into the Beresford DAC and fixed output from the DAC into a Quad 77 Amp. Pre-amp output from that box to the power amp. That gives me a remote controlled analogue volume control and analogue source switching. It is the worst option, I guess because it is the longest replay chain.

Conclusion, don't dismiss the digital volume control in the Squeezebox: it can be your best option if used sensibly.

I would be interested to hear if the improved variable output of Stanley's new "plus" box changes the ranking.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314