+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Optical or RCA ?

I'm colin.

I had a demo last year at sevenoaks of a B&W sub that no one bothered to set up properly, despite giving them my speakers in the morning
    Anyway, i was shocked that i could tell the direction of the sub and was aware of the thing farting away in the corner. I want to avoid that at all costs.
    I was only thinking of the eggs for the rears though mark, thats why ive gone for the Yamaha processor as it means i can keep my stereo fronts and carry on using them with my integrated.

I'm colin.

Maybe i should concentrate on setting up a good 2.1 system first as a base and then work up from their?

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I understand that Colin, i'd still recommend something better than the eggs for the rears though What people often fail to understand is that there is still bass in the surround channels & in all honesty i'd hate to see you wanting something better a few months down the road

Which i believe you would
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    Maybe i should concentrate on setting up a good 2.1 system first as a base and then work up from their?
    Good idea...
    Bests, Mark

I'm colin.

Cheers mark.
    One thing about the sub. I take it to have any use at all it must be able to pressurise the room. In order to do that i guess im looking at hefty wattage specs, is that right mark? My present room is big compared with most of the rents ive had in London. It measures 9m by 5m.

I'm colin.

Actually i think i know what you mean. Ive been in a cinema where the side speakers are rubbish. When you sit at the back and hear, say the clunk of a car door shutting , the sound feels like its coming from the front of the cinema.
    In a good cinema the door sounds like its being closed right in front of you if that makes sense, and has a realistic fullness to it.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    Cheers mark.
    One thing about the sub. I take it to have any use at all it must be able to pressurise the room. In order to do that i guess im looking at hefty wattage specs, is that right mark? My present room is big compared with most of the rents ive had in London. It measures 9m by 5m.
    Wow! Actually you'll get some excellent deep bass in a room that size & you'll probably find the lowest room mode will be under 20Hz

You might not need loads of power but you'd definately be better off with a decent sized bass driver, say 12" as a minimum & 15" being better obviously.
    Bests, Mark

I'm colin.

oow! Thats big. So the driver is very important. Makes sense
    You know the sound of the Nostromo in alien where alyou can hear is the machinary and engine sound that adds to the sense of dread? ( i bet Scott copied that idea from Das Boat) . I know that sound , i used to work in the bowels of a submarine when i was younger. If i could reproduce that in my room it would all be worth it

Colin, what front speakers are you using for your stereo?
    Bests, Mark

I'm colin.

I have AVI neutron 5s. The specs, which mean very little to me are,
    120 Hz - 23khz+ or -2db and -6db at 65 KHz
    They are 5 L volume, 87.5 db with a second order cross over (Linkwitz-Riley 3.4 KHz )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast