+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What now? 78 rpm

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Can you vary the speed either side of the set 33, 45 or 78 ?
    Yes, the speed is variable via 10-turn pots so fine setting of the speed is easy plus a very wide range of speed is available for each speed setting.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Julian.

Only just seen this thread. Try to get an Audio Technica AT-PL 120; there are still a few around. A DJ deck for around the £200 mark (new) which will play your 78s a treat. Then you need a Graham Slee Jazz Club for re-equalising and a set of Rek-o-Kut archival needles (that's the expensive bit). 78s when washed on a RCM (NOT using alcahol based liquid, just distilled water with a bit of washing up liquid) sound fantastic. The Jazz Club has a mono/stereo switch which helps and the TT has variable speed. Use a strobe to get the speed exactly right as the TT is not dead accuaret on speed, but consistent.

Hope that helps.
    Julian.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'd still say a Lenco while they're just about affordable - AND DON'T BUTCHER IT, as original examples will probably hold value better eventually. They're going for well over a ton now unfortunately and nearer double that for clean(ish) examples.

The Planar 78 is the pipe-n-slippers version,, which should give a velvet-smooth performance when fitted with the 78 version of the Bias cartridge. I also understand the Techie can be configured for 78's too....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm John.

I don’t know. You lot, what are you like
    You need a phonograph, you know, one of those things with a horn and a wind up handle.

Record decks ffs, that’s like playing Marco’s 50’s vinyl on a computer!
    I’ve come to the conclusion that some of you are definitely lacking in style.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Julian.

Sorry John, IMO you are entirely wrong. I have a wind up & it sounds quite good, but a properly re-equalised 78 on good modern equipment with the correct sized needle played at the correct speed is a revelation.
    Julian.

I'm John.

Entirely wrong eh. At least I’ve done the job properly then.....
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Alex.

If one wants correct equalisation for the various old record companies, the Quad 22 pre amp is pretty good.

I have a Thorens TD124 fitted with an Ortofon RS212 arm, for 78's. I put a spare headshell in with a Shure 75(ED) cartridge, fitted with an N75-3 stylus.
    Spendorman

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

This is going to cost me a bundle, init.

Finding Lenco's around here is pretty tough, apparently. I've seen some pretty nice ones. What do you mean by "don't butcher it"? There's a guy on youtube who's got a 75 done up in white with a huge baby blue plinth. It's got a Fidelity Research FR64S tonearm and Ortofon SPU Silver Miester cartridge. Not my first choice of colors; but, his looks (and probably sounds) really cool.

The Rega 78 I absolutely could not do. Any turntable that only does one speed, and 78 at that, is not for me. I'd have a very hard time convincing myself the Rega wouldn't break down far sooner than an equally well serviced Lenco, Thorens or Technics.

With a cartridge retip and new arm on the way, "The Jazz Club" is a drool inducing item I should probably not jump into. The Rek-O-Kut stuff on the other hand seems to offer quite good functionality. I also wouldn't feel bad about cracking it open and upgrading internal components.

Big horns... ...great aesthetic pieces; but, I just don't have the real estate for them; too much vinyl.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm ChrisB.

I think that when Dave talks about butchering a Lenco, he's referring to some folks habit of doing away with the arm at all costs.
    • The arm being not too bad at all really
    • The cost of doing away with it being carving off a lump of top plate in order to fit a new arm.

Rest assured that in years to come, a well cared for original will fetch a proper price.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12