+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marco and the DL-103 gang...HELP!!!

I'm Nick.

I think the coin on the headshell is worth trying. Use bluetac to attach, reset tracking force and see if that helps at all.
    Nick.

I'm Rick.

Hi Lurcher,

I had to do exactly that with my Grace unipivot, add a five cent piece, that was while running the Ortofon MC. It made a world of difference, but particularly in the low frequencies.

Hi Marco,

I never ran my SF Phono 1 with the Ortofon, I loaned out the tubes to a buddy...and never saw them again. Anyway, I was running the Ortofon with a 640p, and quite well, and was of course trying other Phonostages while tweaking out my system.

The arm is as near mint as can be found...and although I'm not as steady as I used to be (and it's not the beer), I did go through the arm in detail when I got hold of it to ensure all was well. Plus I ran the Ortofon on this arm for a bit, it was quite stellar.

I am familiar with the 103 and 103R, I very much like the sound, but something is just not right here. And that I have 2 (really 3 including the 640p) phonostages in home and the problem is the same with each......

This weekend I'll bring my table up into the kitchen where the lighting is better (my mancave is poorly lit, intentionally, I can catch the wife more easily when she can't see) and go through the entire setup again.

The most discouraging thing is I think I know how good the Denon and the Lux (with the FR-14) should sound.

If you think of anything else, not including "it will sound better after 3 shots of whiskey" (I already posed that one to myself), please throw it at me.

Now I'll go back to thinking about....boobies!!!
    Rick.

Kenwood KD-650 w/ Denon DL-103 (wood body, Soundsmith elliptical retip), Lite Audio DAC-83 & LT-1 Transport, Luxman M-05 Pure Class 'A' Amplifier, Luxman C-05 preamplifier, Yamaha NS-1000M (beautifully refinished and upgraded) on custom made wood stands.

I once met a woman who would put up with me...so I married her!

I'm Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by audio39 View Post
    I am familiar with the 103 and 103R, I very much like the sound, but something is just not right here. And that I have 2 (really 3 including the 640p) phonostages in home and the problem is the same with each......
    So that suggests that the problem is upstream of the phono stage. I don't believe that all 3 stages are faulty.

So it is either the cartridge or the wiring at fault.
    Please let me build a system that is a bit forgiving on what I find in thrift shops for a handful of pennies and still is able to deliver the goods on good pressings.

I'm Yiangos.

Hmmmmmm , not 100% sure about this,but isn't the Fidelity Research arm a lightweight one,made in the 70's for high compliance cartridges? If that is so,then.it is a complete missmatch for the Denon.It's the same reason why a Grado signature gold isn't working well with most of todays arms.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by audio39 View Post
    I was intending to purchase an Audio Technica AT33PTG II, but all the fuss on this site and another convinced me that the Denon would be a good next step.
    There's quite a lot of fuss and support for both cartridges on this forum

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed. Martin, you heard my 103SA in your system the first time I came round. Did it sound anything like Rick describes?

Hope you get it sorted out, Rick, so keep us posted

Marco.

P.S You need to add "Rick" somewhere on your signature, so people can see at a glance what your name is - cheers!
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed. Martin, you heard my 103SA in your system the first time I came round. Did it sound anything like Rick describes?
    Not at all, the sound was as you described, wide open, detailed and dynamic. Weighty, but not overly bassy in balance.

I'm Darrell.

Hi I know this may seem obvious, but have you tried cleaning the stylus THOROUGHLY .

The reason I mention this is, I bought a 103 off ebay and had the the problen you are describing, I nearly chucked the cartridge out thinking it was crap.

the stylus looked clean but when I ran a brush with a drop or two of ispropol over it, well what a difference, it cleaned up the sound beautifully.

Well worth a try, before you pull your own hair out.
    Darrell.

Di Do Do Dat Doh Don't Di Doh..Di Do Doh..Don;t Di.

I'm Knut.

Hi Rick
    I know these problems. It`s hard to stay calm.
    But listen in a relax mood and try different things: order a heavy headshell. the arm has not enough mass for Denon 103SA. the real optimum you only find with heavy arms. Then also try to make tonarm a little bit higher or lower but in steps of 1 millimeter only and listen always same vinyl and at same volume.

a SUT can also help. A used fidelity research or a self made Lundahl. but this are additional costs but worth a try.

If nothing helps and you are sure to get crazy next time or drink too much whiskey:
    If you can let 103SA go, the sell it and try for example Ortodon Rondo bronze or SPU classic N- naked!! with a heavy headshell.

Knut
    Knut.

Acoustic Signature Thunder & Final Tool, Technics SP15, Ampearl RE1030 Valve Phono, Ampearl Valve phono LCR RE2030, Ampearl RE1031, Tribute SUT, Aidas MC, Linn Akiva, DS Audio E1, Nagra VPS
    Legat Audio SETA E130L SE, Legat KT88 SE , K&T Donar, JE Labs Open baffle with Philips 12202, BK elec SUBs P12 & XXls400

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The Denon likes a fairly hefty arm so you may be running into compliance issues here. On the other hand they only ever quote at 100Hz so I am a great believer in the suck it and see approach!

I see you have tried 2.2g for VTF (I run mine at that... on the other hand it is a heavily modded cartridge). Reset it to its optimal value of 2.5
    Make sure it is slightly tail down or at least level for VTA.
    How is the cart attached to the arm? You may need to look at that...

I will check when I get home for my loading I cant remember. Let you know in due course...
    not sure, but i would have thought that with excess bass, VTA adjustments should be going towards the tail being more up than not.

FWIW, i'm running a FR cart in my fr64s and, after lots of fiddling, the tail is significantly higher (1cm+).

cheers
    adrian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast