+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Armboard and tonearm cable for Jelco SA-750D

I'm Ron.

Default Arm cable earthing?

Excuse me popping in here but arm cables are under discussion. I recently bought a 1.5M Van Damme arm cable from J7/AO with SME/Neutrix pro phonos for £110.00 + £4.00 PP, this is being used at the mo. I noticed at the SME fit end there was not an earth wire intended for earthing to the turntable metal chassis, a la Linn. J7 informed me that he no longer puts an earth cable at this end as some of his customers did not know what to do with it? I noticed that the Oyaide cable does not have an earth wire at the SME to arm connection, is this a 'today' thing? Why do some cables have this an others don't As far as I can tell it has made no difference to the performance of my 1210 but its early days, the stock arm was earthed onto the pitch control screw. For peace of mind with my LP12 I would prefer an earth wire connected to the metal sub chassis!

Can someone enlighten me as to the merits or demerits of an earth wire to turntable chassis (metal part)?

Thx for advice

Ron

I'm colin.

I got a new tonearm cable with two earths recently and attached one to the pitch control and one to the preamp. Ive had problems ever since that may or may not be related but Stan thought it maybe a floating earth so be careful.
    I understand your concern though as the mains lead is two core and the Technics is metal bodied.

MartinT Guest

I have always used am arm cable with earth lead and that lead goes to my phono preamp's earth post. No problems with hum whatsoever.

I'm Ron.

Default TA earth lead

Thanks Colin and Martin for the benefit of your experience. The non existence of the arm earth lead from SME bayonet fit to base of tone arm is what worries me. The earth lead that is connected (earthed to control/pre amp) is there and the required connection has been made Technic's stock arm is earthed at both ends viz: at TT metal body end and again to earth post at pre amp. What I'm trying to get my brain spaghetti around is WHY on earth (pun ) is it practice NOT to have the connection of lead to tonearm itself not earthed... flaming hell, I'm getting paronoid ?

As an aside, it is my belief (open to correction) that it is always wiser to upgrade to a better performing tone arm itself prior to upgrading the tone arm cable/lead, yes?

Thought for the day: there must be an elephant type of grave yard that old tonearm cables go to when there life has ended, maybe from this place one could give life again to an unwanted cable.. just me meandering again folks

Ron
    Last edited by JazzBones; 19-01-2011 at 18:30. Reason: Spelling of paronoid

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

My jelco has arrived today looks very nice and solid,cannot wait to get it up and running.

Will try and sell a couple of items to raise funds for armboard and cable,didn't factor that in when i said i'll take it
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm colin.

Nice one Darren. You wont be disappointed.
    You should expect a cleaner more natural sound. Easier on the ear i would describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    Nice one Darren. You wont be disappointed.
    You should expect a cleaner more natural sound. Easier on the ear i would describe it.
    This will be my last major upgrade now so i can concentrate on buying vinyl.

'Cleaner more natural sound' sounds good to me colin

I just hope that once installed that i don't start thinking what if i went a step further with this deck.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I decided to get the arm board from the greek guy,£90 is too much for me atm.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

Still waiting for the arm board,getting impatient and missing vinyl .

Quick question,i understand the jelco is a high mass arm and i have a AT LS-12 headshell with a nagaoka mp 110 will this be too much for the nag?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Darren,

Nope. I used the headshell you've got when I was testing some Nagaoka cartridges on my Jelco 750, and the combination sounded sublime, so relax

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast