+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Armboard and tonearm cable for Jelco SA-750D

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - don't tell me that part of the attraction of your system isn't how it looks (you like bad-ass brutal)!!

Remember that Krell thing you referred to as a "thing of beauty"?

Sound quality always comes first and foremost, but fortunately both SPUs sound quite similar, however the traditional SPU just looks so much sexier:

At some point, I'd like to add an original vintage SPU to my cartridge collection:

Class!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - don't tell me that part of the attraction of your system isn't how it looks (you like bad-ass brutal)!!

Remember that Krell thing you referred to as a "thing of beauty"?
    How could i ever forget

Yep, form & function! Get them both right & you are going to be one happy chappie

Different strokes for different folks though at the end of the day. Martins Dynavector 507 just does it for me visually & i'm sure it sounds superb to go along with it...

Again a different form that i tend to like the look of because it makes some sense (& the engineering behind it), that doesn't appeal to everyone..

You have gotten me thinking

ATB Marco
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - always like to make you think!

Yes, I also love Martin's Dynavector - now that *is* a thing of beauty

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Arthur.

Wink Judging a book by its cover is risky...

Hi Darren,

Arthur did send me an FX-R to try on my Techie, but unfortunately it was just before Christmas when I was loaded with the flu, and so I didn't get a chance to try it. I have since sent it back.

TBH, if I wasn't into the high-mass approach with arms and cartridges, I'd have fitted an FX-R to my Techie in a shot!

Marco.
    But Marco, that's the point of FXR. It starts out life as a low mass arm, thereby complementing high compliance cartridges but then for low compliance cartridges that like high mass arms, you mass load the headshell to the desired level with slugs which we can supply. You now have your high-mass arm.

I am designing not for our eyes but for the physics demanded by the invisible forces generated by stylii. Perversely, looking at the response curves, I am designing exactly for our eyes, which at last happen to complement our ears.

Doing things this way is very important and delivers a unique sonic benefit. It keeps the arm's signature effect to a minimum.
    So-called high-mass arms simply can't do that and why FXR's phenomenal resonance plot is achieved without obvious damping - damping would otherwise smear the final performance. It all adds up to "...a superb sounding arm," (your words) "although obviously not as meticulously well engineered"

Be that as it may, neither it is so highly priced! Plus what other upgrade path exists to create such a musical performance from a £100 - £200 donor arm? You must understand the raison d'etre of FXR, which has been developed for our current economic times. As more people get FXR, it is now becoming accepted more and more that you get the (lack of) sound. The big "but" is that your wallet doesn't get the hit.

When I decide to release a "meticulously engineered" product (c.f. even Anniversary of 20 years ago) you'll know about it. But then neither will it be £1200.

I'm Jason.

Just a quick note about tonearm boards for Technics SL12** / SL15** made by George Boublinis - the gent from Greece who advertises on ebay.
    I got him to make me a new board so I can use one of the arm collars from Hugo with a Jelco 370H.
    Had a very nice and informative e-mail exchange and he's made me a board as a one off. It costs a bit more than the others he sells as its a one off but never-the-less still a good price and to be honest an excellent service so far.
    Can't be faulted to be honest.
    Just in case anyone else is looking for a new board for a Techie I'd recommend George wholeheartedly.
    Jason
    Technics SP10,(Jelco)LAD Tonearm,Pickering XV15/625e,Herbie's mat; Technics Sl1210 Mk5/Mission 774SM/DL160; Techncs SL1210/Ortofon VMS20eMKII;Technics SL1210Mk2, Jelco(LAD) tonearm, Nagaoka MP20, Platter matter; Technics SL7, P22
    Other Carts:
    AT120e, AT440MLa, AT110e,Goldring 1****,
    2X Marantz CD5400
    marantz PM7300,Rotel RA960 BX; Cambridge Audio 640P X 2
    Wharfedale 9.1; Tannoy Mercury F1.

Hi Darren,

Welcome to the Jelco club!

I'd get an armboard from Mr Cawley, as short of a Mike New solid brass one, the German-made ones DC sells are superb - it's what I use.

As for tonearm cable - that depends on your budget. Yes, like David says, I'm very happy indeed with the Oyaide, but it's not cheap - although it's a bargain compared with the Furutech...!

Marco.
    Have you heard the Furutech on the Jelco? I could likely get one cheapish from a mate who cant use it on his LP12, and I am planning on getting Jelco 750L soon.

Else I could get a Zu cable instead.
    ~g

(David).

I'm David.

The trouble with cables (any sort) is ideally we would all like 2 or 3 or more of any single type to have a play with, so as an example an oyaide, furutech and jelco tone arm cable that we can listen to at our leisure for a few weeks. problem is some dealers (obviously there are exceptions) only want to sell product and don't like sending stuff out with no money changing hands so it is difficult to trial cables without paying for them first and no one would spend £1500 on a Furutech cable without hearing it first or at least reading some reviews, personally being in the trade I take a different approach, people like the human touch, anyone can speak to me anytime day or night even on sundays, my telephone number is on my site and on my e-bay shop, and I am always happy to send cables for trial as long as I have them in stock, to me the proof of the pudding is in the listening, I have personally listened to a linn tone arm cable, a jelco one (for only 1 day with that one as I had to forward it onto someone) , am oyaide and a pure silver litz one and finally a cardas one.

I don't personally go for the improved soundstage, lower noise floor etc, etc that reviewers use to describe the sound, my philosophy is does it sound "right". Out of the arm leads I heard the Oyaide was the best, if anyone would like to trial the Oyaide cable send me a pm, I have a few in stock, there is a matching interconnect as well for phono stage to amp.

£1500??!!! Sheesh - I knew they werent cheap, but that is crazy! I know he got his barely used for way, way, way cheaper than that!
    ~g

(David).

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

quick update,i have had the tonearm with jelco cable running a few weeks now and im very happy with the combo.

Music is now alot more defined and fluid with good levels of detail,no doubt help by the croft phono stage .It's a very addictive combo,especially late at night.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Adam.

I'm going to buy one of the Mogami Starquad cables. The maker has asked whether I'd like a second ground wire fitted for the pitch control. His comment was:

...in most occasions the Technics chassis needs to be earthed. The stock tonearm has a second ground lead that connects internally to the pitch plate for this purpose. This can also replicated with a detachable ground lead. Note that this ground lead is not as important as the main one, and it is not likely that you will get any evident noise if you don't use one.

I've attached a picture. The second ground would mean removing the base plate to swap cables at any stage. The DIN cables I see others using on Jelco modded 1200s doesn't have the second ground.

Can anyone comment on the value of using a second ground.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789