+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Denon 103 review

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Gerry,

As usual, all the theories in the world matter not a jot... At the end of the day, all that matters is what your ears tell you, so if you find things sound best that way, then cool!

Besides, there are all sorts of other variables to consider....

On my T/T, with either the 103 or SPU, it sounds best with the c/w (heavy Jelco one) as close as possible to the arm's pivot point.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    I have had numerous heads-hells for years....Phasetechs, Ortofons, Oyadies etc. but the best ever, with a 103 is the Audiocraft AS-4PL, which was designed for the 103.
    Do you know what was specific to that headshell? All I can find on the net is that it weighs 13.4g! Looking at it, is it all in the additional mass?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    If the HSL PCC are too pricey, then try the HSL PCC E (shown on the link I posted earlier), as I don't really rate the VDH cartridge leads. They won't be any better than the ones supplied with the Sumiko...

Btw, I meant insulated, rather than shielded - soz!

Marco.
    Cheers Marco :-)
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

Here it is:

It looks fairly unremarkable to me....

Gerry, where did you get the idea that it was designed for the 103?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gerard.

Here it is:

It looks fairly unremarkable to me....

Gerry, where did you get the idea that it was designed for the 103?

Marco.
    Marco

From reading the instructions which came with it!
    Like you, I thought the weight would wrong....but I was wrong.
    Much better than the 16g plus Phasetech and ATs I have.
    Never judge a book by its cover!
    Regards
    Gerry

Lol! Look, if it works, it works... I suppose it depends on what arm you use it with

My favourite headshells for the 103 are the Ortofon, I mentioned, and my FR S/4:

Don't ask me how much I paid for it, though!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Gerard.

Lol! Look, if it works, it works... I suppose it depends on what arm you use it with Marco.
    Marco
    It can be used with any of my arms...FR64, Grace G960 & G940, Audiocraft AC3300 & 3000, L-07D, ...these are all heavy (well the ACs are if the right tubes are used).

Of course it may do with being the perfect weight and the counter weight being in the perfect position at the rear of the arm... near perfect mass. I've learnt never to under-estimate Japanese engineering or their eye for detail.

I lent one to Big Vern to try on one of his TT....he seemed very happy.
    Regards
    Gerry

Physically/mechanically, yes, any detachable headshell arm will be compatible with the Audiocraft headshell... What I meant was sonically, or rather in terms of synergy, with the partnering tonearm and cartridge

It won't fit on a Rega, though, for maximum 'magical' effect!

Anyway, I'll try and find one, pop the 103 on it, and give you my verdict....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I recently plumbed a 103 into an RB300 in order to test a Garrard 401 that I've been messing around with. On a short side-by-side comparison with a 1982 LP12/Ittok/Asak it was extremely competitive, top end was a bit veiled but the mid and bass were definitely fuller and more satisfying. So much so that I was half thinking of holding onto it and fashioning some additional weight onto the headshell as well as a DIY body mod. Yes, a different arm would probably be sensible person's next step...

Pete

Hi Pete,

Actually, Rega arms work very well on Garrards, so you've got some good synergy there, but of course 103s work less well on Regas.....

The veiled sound you obtained, however, could've perhaps been a trait of the 401, when compared to the LP12/Ittok/Asak combo, which is altogether livelier, mainly because of the upper-mid forwardness of the arm.

An optimally performing 103 should not sound in any way veiled; however, it will lack the unnatural treble emphasis of most modern cartridges, so you should make allowances for that.

Since you've got a 401 and the RB300, and if you like the extended bass and rhythmic qualities of the 103, my advice would be to buy a Rubato copper mat for the 401 (as this will help ameliorate the veiled top end you're getting by reducing the effect of eddy currents from that big lump of iron underneath the platter, called the motor! ) and then simply add mass to the Rega's headshell with a spacer. I'd go for around 8g.

Once you've done that, you'll have a pretty good sounding T/T!

Marco.
    Main System

MartinT Guest

The Dynavector headshell is as rare as hen's teeth, but very nicely built and heavy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast