+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Denon 103 review

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cardas is the one, Ian, as it's tried and tested with the Techie arm.

Don't go for anything silver, though - just the best copper cable you can afford, terminated in high-quality Cardas phono plugs at one end, and at the other, use Cardas headshell leads with your Sumiko, to keep the cable loom the same

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Something like this??
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=170389558244

Also, would you make your own headshell cable with the leftovers??

I can find plated gold plated brass Cardas PCC EG clips but nothing of pure copper??
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

Hi Ian,

Yes, that's the stuff! I don't see why you can't make your own headshell leads from bits, although you'll have to shield them, and they might be a bit thin and easily broken... The separate headshell leads from Cardas are normally a bit more durable.

The HSL PCC are the best: http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...&content_id=27

The long-length Cardas 'push on' cartridge tags are the ones you want (if you're making up your own headshell leads), but I think they only come in gold-plated brass

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Marco with your Jelco 750D, did you use the Jelco heavy counter weight along with the Ortofon LH-9000 headshell?

Hi Mike,

Yes. It works superbly, as you can get it right up next to the arm's pivot point and still achieve 2.6g VTF with the 103!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I don't see why you can't make your own headshell leads from bits, although you'll have to shield them, and they might be a bit thin and easily broken... The separate headshell leads from Cardas are normally a bit more durable.

The HSL PCC are the best: http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...&content_id=27

The long-length Cardas 'push on' cartridge tags are the ones you want (if you're making up your own headshell leads), but I think they only come in gold-plated brass

Marco.
    Are the cables normally shielded?

Are the VDH ones any good? They seem a bit cheaper than Cardas.
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

I'm Gerard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Mike,

Yes. It works superbly, as you can get it right up next to the arm's pivot point and still achieve 2.6g VTF with the 103!

Marco.
    Marco
    That will lower the effective mass of the arm!

You want the weight away from the pivot to increase the effective mass ...just adding a heavier headshell does not work on it's own.

This is what makes calculating effective mass of tone arms so very complicated.
    Regards
    Gerry

If the HSL PCC are too pricey, then try the HSL PCC E (shown on the link I posted earlier), as I don't really rate the VDH cartridge leads. They won't be any better than the ones supplied with the Sumiko...

Btw, I meant insulated, rather than shielded - soz!

Marco.
    Main System

Marco
    That will lower the effective mass of the arm!

You want the weight away from the pivot to increase the effective mass ...just adding a heavier headshell does not work on it's own.
    Indeed, Gerry, but it lowers inertia, which is a good thing. If you don't have to increase mass, tonearms sound best with the c/w positioned as close to the pivot point as possible

I don't need to increase the mass of the Jelco, because it's quite sufficient as it is with a 16.8g Ortofon headshell fitted, excluding what the stainless steel armtube itself weighs!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Gerard.

Marco
    I hear what you say, and it was what all the mags suggested...however I find my FR arms and a few other heavy weights (Grace's, Audiocrafts with the high mass arm tubes on, etc) work much better with the 103 and the weight not up against the bearing housing. However each to his own.

I have had numerous heads-hells for years....Phasetechs, Ortofons, Oyadies etc. but the best ever, with a 103 is the Audiocraft AS-4PL, which was designed for the 103.
    Regards
    Gerry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast