+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denon 103 review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Lucky.

Default Denon 103 review

I found a denon 103 review on the internet by Ken Kessler, who say what you like, does have huge experience of all things analogue. This line jumped out at me:

"At under £100, and working enchantingly, no, make that almost magically in a Rega arm, it has to be - after three-and-a-half decades - the entry-level moving-coil cartridge."

I though the concensus was that the 103 didnt work well in an RB.... let alone 'magically' Is it just a question of taste? or does Kessler know something that we dont?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Darren,

I think it's more likely that the "magically" bit is entirely subjective and dependent on one's available benchmark.

To KK, the 103 may indeed have sounded 'magical' on a Rega tonearm, but perhaps that's because he's never heard how even more 'magical' it sounds on a high-mass vintage tonearm, or the likes of a Jelco SA-750, (fitted with a heavy headshell)?

Or he was simply pandering to the 'populist' choice of tonearm in the UK to make life easy for people....

It has to be one or the other, as extensive experience over many years has shown me that if you think a 103 sounds 'magical' on a Rega tonearm, then quite clearly, you've never heard a 103 genuinely sounding magical!

Read Adam Smith's review of a vintage Empire turntable in this month's HFW, where he uses it with a DL-103, and gets quite amazing results, for a taste of what I'm getting at. Then look at the type of tonearm on the Empire, compare it to an RB250 or 300, and wonder how on earth a 103 could possibly perform "magically" on the latter.......

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Lucky.

Many thanks for your reply Marco. I just wondered that if Kessler, having heard what must be dozens of high end cartridges, thought the Denon sounded Magical on the Rega tonearm. Then this must clearly count for something.
    Do you think there is a great deal of sample variation among the Denon carts?
    I've not seen the HFW review you mention, but does the 103 sounding good in the Empire tonearm preclude it from sounding good in an RB? Or will it just sound different?
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I'm Gerard.

I think you'll find that KK had the cartridge loading correct.
    The 103 can sound pretty magical on most arms if it is loaded correctly, which is what most reviewers do not do.
    Move the counterweight away from the bearing (further up the arm stub) and you increase the mass of the arm. So the mass of the Rega can be increased.
    Also KK used a L-07D for many years, with a SME 312, so I have a feeling he knows about heavier arms.
    Regards
    Gerry

Hi Gerry,

You may have a point about loading - I hadn't thought of that! It could well have been a factor in KK's 'magical' experience with the 103.

However, in my experience, the 103 LOVES mass, and crucially at the headshell end of a tonearm (typically at least 16g), so no stock Rega tonearm is going to cut it in that respect.

When I had an RB700 (stripped, polished and rewired by J7 at Audio Origami - far better than any stock Rega tonearm), I tried mass-loading the headshell to the appropriate level by fitting a brass 'spacer', and used it with my (then) DL-103R. It was quite good (perhaps 'magical' to some?) but a far cry from the sound I get at the moment when using a 103 with my Jelco SA750 and (16.8g) Ortofon LH-9000 (see link below).

http://www.ortofon.com/index.php?opt...189&Itemid=148

Therefore, Darren, to answer your question, with reference to KK's comments, I suspect that it's a case of, there's 'magical', and then there's MAGICAL! - if you see what I mean?

Or to put it bluntly, a DL-103 (loaded correctly) on a stock Rega tonearm may indeed sound 'magical', but nowhere near as MAGICAL as one would (loaded correctly) on a Jelco SA750/Ortofon LH-9000....

It's a question of benchmarks - i.e. what you're used to.

If you want a tonearm that truly maxes out the performance of a DL-103, then the Jelco/Ortofon combo I mentioned above is the one, or a vintage Jap high-mass tonearm, such as an FR-64S:

...or indeed the (equally) 'battleship-built' Empire tonearm, shown in this month's HFW!!

I trust that answers your question

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Move the counterweight away from the bearing (further up the arm stub) and you increase the mass of the arm.
    This is exactly what I've done with my std Sl1200 arm. I've also sent mine off the Expert Stylus Co for a work over! Should be pretty "Magical" (imho) when it comes back!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

Hi Ian,

That would work, providing it allows for optimal setting of VTF. On a DL-103, this is 2.6g.

Also, if you're using the stock Techie tonearm with a 103, you'll need a much heavier and better quality headshell than the one supplied, which is really only any good for a DJ cartridge.

The Sumiko one (widely available on the 'Net), together with a spacer to add mass, is the most cost-effective option

Marco.
    Main System

Totally agree Marco.....Check out the avatar

Nude 103, stabiliser and Sumiko headshell!!

The counter weight has been carefully adjusted to allow for correct set up!
    Ian

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

Top man, Ian. Have you had your tonearm rewired, too? If not, there's still plenty more to come!

Marco.
    Main System

Not yet but I've been looking! What do you suggest? I've seen cardas wire on ebay that I could braid myself???
    Ian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast