+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Name your fav local independent record shops!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Is it any good, John?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Imjustsurviving.

I have bought quite a bit of Vinyl from here

Music Mania

21 W Buildings, Worthing, West Sussex BN11 3BS 01903 203489 ‎

No web site but a good selection of new and used vinyl

Over in Brighton there are loads but heres a couple i have used

This is where i bought all my vinyl as a kid

http://www.rounderbrighton.co.uk/

And this has a good selection of alternative stuff

http://www.resident-music.com/

If your coming down to Brighton just google them

http://www.soundsphenomenal.org/Record_shops.htm
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Head , Leamington Spa is the nearest one to me now , its ok but the vinyl selection is a bit disorganized , but hell its better than nothing !

11 Lower Mall Royal Priors Shopping Centre , spa@ehead.co.uk
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Head , Leamington Spa is the nearest one to me now , its ok but the vinyl selection is a bit disorganized , but hell its better than nothing !

11 Lower Mall Royal Priors Shopping Centre , spa@ehead.co.uk
    Nice one Chris, I use that too, as it used to be Fopp...

Even better IMHO is 'Rise' at Warwick arts centre (only a few more miles up the a46), which is the return of 'Fopp' under the son's name...the website gives store locations and opening times. They also have stores at Bristol & Cheltenham...

http://www.rise-music.org/

Very little commercial, and lots of very cheap back catalogue stuff, another nice feature is that they're open when there are gigs on at the arts centre. So book a gig and pick up some tunes whilst you're there...it's more reminiscent of the original Fopp store in leamington, before it moved into the precinct...
    Cheers, Will

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

This is a great idea, especially handy for when people are travelling around (i.e. I'm visiting our Guildford branch next week which is in the High Street, so a visit to Ben's looks inevitable! )

The one and only independent record shop that I am aware of is Out of Time Records in Ipswich. (Link is to Google Place Page - can't find a website for them.)

Interesting article from BBC with a brief interview of the manager here. To be honest, I've only ever been in once and I found it a bit of a shambles, boxes of vinyl everywhere, and full of uni emo kids, and the place is tiny. The guy serving (wasn't the manager) was busy so I didn't get to speak to him. In the light of this thread I will make the effort to visit again!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Thanks for the recent additions, chaps - keep 'em coming!

Hi Alex,

This is a great idea, especially handy for when people are travelling around (i.e. I'm visiting our Guildford branch next week which is in the High Street, so a visit to Ben's looks inevitable! )
    Good man! I hope you find some interesting stuff and get some bargains. What I'm asking people to do is spend a percentage of their monthly music buying budget with independent record shops, rather than at places like Amazon. Let's save our local record shops!!

The one and only independent record shop that I am aware of is Out of Time Records in Ipswich. (Link is to Google Place Page - can't find a website for them.)

Interesting article from BBC with a brief interview of the manager here. To be honest, I've only ever been in once and I found it a bit of a shambles, boxes of vinyl everywhere, and full of uni emo kids, and the place is tiny. The guy serving (wasn't the manager) was busy so I didn't get to speak to him. In the light of this thread I will make the effort to visit again!
    Please do

That's the 'charm' of a small independent record shop! Immaculately laid out stock in fancy displays is not what you're likely to find, so be prepared to get down on your knees and rummage through box after box of records before you find something that you like - it's all part of the fun!!

Marco.

P.S Interesting that there were some kids there - shows that these places are not solely frequented by middle-aged dinosaurs!
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Nice one Chris, I use that too, as it used to be Fopp...

Even better IMHO is 'Rise' at Warwick arts centre (only a few more miles up the a46), which is the return of 'Fopp' under the son's name...the website gives store locations and opening times. They also have stores at Bristol & Cheltenham...

http://www.rise-music.org/

Very little commercial, and lots of very cheap back catalogue stuff, another nice feature is that they're open when there are gigs on at the arts centre. So book a gig and pick up some tunes whilst you're there...it's more reminiscent of the original Fopp store in leamington, before it moved into the precinct...
    Thanks Will , i don't know that one ! next time i'm in Warwick
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
    Europa Music in Stirling is all I have nearby....
    excellent shop imho/e.....though it can be a tad messy sometimes. However there are sections and everything that should be in them is...usually. I love having a good rummage in it. Every time I am over in Stirling I want to go there first.

http://www.europamusic.co.uk/

Ewan who owns Europa also has a brother who organizes record fairs round Grief, Callander and Dunkeld areas + other parts of Scotland I am sure but don't know about....

Regards D S D L

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by jantheman View Post
    You want to have a look in the Plymouth stores...those sections are virtually non existant. A complete waste of time. I would be surprised if there are more than a couple of hundred CD's between them.
    Sadly true. years ago Plymouth had one of the very first Virgin stores which introduced us to loads of stuff and was staffed by guys (and girls) who knew their subject and their customers, and we had Peter Russell's Hot Record Store which was world renowned in Jazz circles and was just the coolest place to hang out bar none.

Nowadays it is impossible to buy new vinyl anywhere closer than Exeter, and anything other than chart CDs are pretty much out of the question. We did have a Zavvi and an HMV. HMV took over the Zavvi, so you can bet your life one of them willbe marked for closure now. A bad state of affairs for a city of 250,000.

Same with hifi. In the early 70's there were seven good independant hifi shops. Now we have Richer Sounds and a very sad branch of Sevenoaks. Sob...
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

Cheer up - at least it's occasionally sunny!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast