+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this the reason mains filtering falls short of the performance of mains regenerati

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Swampy is most welcome

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Paul.

To refer back to the original question it would seem that mains regeneration would outperform mains filters as they filter out anything unwanted from the DC lines and then produce the mains level AC from the clean DC. Even it a filter successfully eliminated RFI it wouldn't reduce harmonic distortion like a regenerator would (should).

To me mains regenerators seem wonderful as they do absurd. One one hand it makes sense the run your equipment from a nice clean low distortion sinewave.

On the other hand your rectifing the mains into clean DC, turning this back into AC sending to your hifi which turns it back into DC.

It would seem that all you actually need is hifi with properly made powersupplies that get the mains and just turn it into clean DC.

From what I've been told by people who used to work in the industry the sad truth is that not only even relatively expensive equipment is still built down to a cost, it has been known to be poorly designed as well.

So the choice seems to be not filters but either re-designing the power supplies of your equipment with cost no object as your MO, or use a regenerator. Now, I'm into a spot of hifi DIY but I also have a life to live so don't really fancy the epic quest of rebuilding powersupplies for everything that I have.
    ~Paul~

I'm Greg.

Hi Guys,

Swampy has sent me a file which he's happy for me to publish, however it is a PDF of the latest design including PCB which is way too big to upload here. It's about 181 KB. If any one can talk this Luddite through compression processes so it can become uploadable, please do so. Otherwise, PM me your email address and I'll send it individually that way. Alternatively I could send to a moderator who might be able to tweak it for publication.

I can't comment on what Paul has written as I don't have the knowledge and I certainly respect his take on things. All I can say is on certain applications, the Swampy filter seems to work and in my case I use it to filter mains to my CDP, DVDP and TV cablebox.

Best wishes,

Greg

I'm Howard.

Having now sold many PS Audio PPPs, the majority of which have been installed by me, I have some observations on what seems to be happening - but not the foggiest about how though. If I can find the time on Thursday, I'll try and post something which might be a catalyst for thought. Just pluging it in does not, repeat not automatically provide all the benefits. It requires calibration. A quick and simple, but essential process.

Tomorrow sees me having lunch with Christopher Breunig - writing the most accessible text on the wonder of classic music I've yet come across. And then in the evening, dinner with Channa Vithana - writer and all round good bloke at Hi-Fi World.

If any forum members have questions you'd like me to put to these 2 guys, then I'll see what I can do.
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 06-08-2008 at 23:26.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Alternatively I could send to a moderator who might be able to tweak it for publication.
    Hi Greg,

I'll have a go if you can email it to me please?

Cheers...
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Greg.

Thanks Mike. Email sent.

I'm ILOB.

A while back I expermented with a friend who is a bit skeptical around mains. In my system we took the power plant off the mains circuit. The bass lost defination and lost some detail and soundstage we first re-connected the the phonostage and the whole pace of dynamics regained there previous focus which were lost we bith heard this, on the CD side the effects wre not quite as radical but the bass became more focused soundstage improved as well as being able to hear deeper into the music, A few weeks latter we tried the same exercise at my friends house he lives in a more modern house and we both could hear no real difference in performance when adding the power plant so the experience seems to very from house to house
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    A while back I expermented with a friend who is a bit skeptical around mains. In my system we took the power plant off the mains circuit. The bass lost defination and lost some detail and soundstage we first re-connected the the phonostage and the whole pace of dynamics regained there previous focus which were lost we bith heard this, on the CD side the effects wre not quite as radical but the bass became more focused soundstage improved as well as being able to hear deeper into the music, A few weeks latter we tried the same exercise at my friends house he lives in a more modern house and we both could hear no real difference in performance when adding the power plant so the experience seems to very from house to house
    Ummm, what exactly does this mean? Please explain to accommodate my poor comprehension

I'm ILOB.

Well for me just says that the effects of mains reginaration will depend on your own home so check to see if it makes a difference before you buy
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12