+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Townshend Avalon

I'm David.

Yeah, Robin in audio t was telling me today I could still get a techno weight ... I probably will one day ... Not for a while though ... It's money I can't even begin justify for now ...
    This ortophon 2m red seems fine for now too
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Hi Hamish,
    as the others have said... get a trough for it, it really does make that much difference.
    Having always been poor i've never had the luxury of keep changing my kit, so i tend to find something i like and stick with it
    i bought my avalon secon hand way back in '94 at fanthorpes in hull for the princely sum of £170, it came fitted with a linn akito mk1, the cranfield trough and a clamp.
    it looked the mutts nuts when i first saw it with its piano black gloss sheen on its upper surface.
    I checked it out as best i could, i'd heard of 'the rock' and 'the seismic sink' and that was about it (these were the days before you could google things, hell, back then googling meant something totally different ),
    Anyway i found out the trough alone cost £130 so thought i'd give it a go.
    i was so glad i did, its a cracking deck.
    i'd moved from a thorens td160 mk2 with an 'original' mission 774 arm, which itself had a little trough filled with silicon fluid, tho' where the cranfield sits at the outside of the platter the trough on the mission sat behind the cueing mechanism just in front of the bearing/main pillar assembly.
    i'd been happy with the thorens/mission set-up....until i got the avalon, which was a step up on sound quality.
    dont get me wrong, ( and no nasty comments from thorens or mission owners please ), both the 160 + 774 were good bits of kit, (in fact i wish i'd kept them when i see what they sell for these days - c. £300 for both, think i flogged mine to a mate for £30)
    it's just that the avalon sounded better, and as both were good decks and both were good arms it seems that the bit that made the most difference was the trough...
    i dont know what they are selling for these days as most sell with decks, the owners not usually prepared to sell them seperately, but the last time i looked at Max's webpage the new version, made out of metal not plastic, was selling for c. £500
    the trough bolts to the deck with 1 allen bolt and fits in the hole at the front of your deck thats got a plastic cover over it.

new trough fluid from -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=230599686980

and belts from -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Elite-Townshen...01679303514271

both are from analogue seduction as max don't sell them
    if you do get a trough, you will need the outrigger bracket and paddle to be able to use it.
    the bracket sits atop the headshell and sticks out in front of it, where the paddle then sits in the trough fluid.
    for a close up, pictures 3 + 4 here -
    http://townshendaudio.com/turntables/the-rock-7/
    you MUST have the bracket or the trough is useless.

well, that's my little ramble and trip down memory lane, i hope the info is of use to you

typical, didn't see the last two pages before i posted, my eyes aint what they used to be
    nice rega, i'd still go for the trough tho'
    and as for the silicone splilling.... in 20 yrs i've never had one drip on a disc
    anyway, as the rega info say - its about the listening and enjoying, and thats one thing i've always liked with the avalon, you just sit back and enjoy, no spring, adjustments etc.
    I am an avid tweaker with most things but sometimes you just want the kit to get on with it whilst you enjoy the music..

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi mate,

Welcome to AoS

Could you please pop into the Welcome area and introduce yourself properly to our community, by providing your real first name (Stewart?) and details of your system components and what music you like to listen to. This is required of all new members.

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    it is indeed my intention to get a trough for it at some stage
    I saw a Townshend trough & paddle kit going for £40 at last Sunday's Bracknell Audio Fayre. Sorry, I didn't know you wanted one at the time.

I'm David.

Pants ... £40 ... Would have been a no brainer! Ah well I you see the same again let me know ....
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Shane.

Sorry if this question sounds silly.

How does the Rock turntable sound with out the trough?

I'm David.

You asking me matey?
    Mines an Avalon not a rock... Sounds great to me!

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    You asking me matey?
    Mines an Avalon not a rock... Sounds great to me!
    Have you actually bought an arm boss?

I'm David.

No, I just mean the gentle noise of the motor turning the platter sounds good .... ....
    Yes I have a rega 301

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast