+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Townshend Avalon

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    That's great, cheers, looks ... Scary... !?
    Totally agree, I have not done mine.
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Alex.

I did mine just like this, but didn't replace the ball bearing - I just rotated the worn face away from the contact patch now and then. It is well worth doing from time to time as the materials are quite soft. As soon as you see a dimple on the bearing surface, friction and noise will be increasing. bearing wear can be an issue with this deck. I eventually put a ptfe pill under the bb and this worked really well until I sold the deck.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Steve.

Thanks for that advice Alex
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Martin.

I have just been reminded of this turntable because I was searching for the Mission 774 tonearm.

I remember looking at the adverts for the Townsend Avalon and I had forgotten all about it Theres just something about that fluid trough which inspires and worries me at the same time. I think the worry and lack of convenience wins out which is probably why the paddle didnt catch on. I wonder what the physics of the fluid damping is when related to tracking and the tonearm.

I keep thinking its a sledgehammer to crack a nut principle of turntable design but people say it made a real difference

I still fancy having a quick go with the Avalon though. Anybody still running one with the trough fluid and paddle?

I'm jamie.

im using one on my rock 2,it really isn't any problem or hassle to use,the trough just swings out of the way when changing records,the difference it makes is very noticeable.
    whats there to worry about?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    whats there to worry about?
    Erm a trough full of fluid several millimetres from the surface of the record. Swinging it backwards and forwards every time a record is placed on the platter and I bet it takes some pernickity setting up with different arms and cartridges .

Seriously I would love to see it close up and exactly what contact is made in that trough. I might see if there are any You tube videos on the Avalon or Rock

I'm Adrian.

My intention is to get a Rock as a second deck - I completely get the trough and can't wait to hear one. The trough is only about 2 thirds full and the way everything moves makes it difficult to spill anything.

Damping, whether at the headshell or base definitely improves things in my opinion and experience.

I've even toyed wth the idea of buying a trough and paddle for the sp10.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Erm a trough full of fluid several millimetres from the surface of the record. Swinging it backwards and forwards every time a record is placed on the platter and I bet it takes some pernickity setting up with different arms and cartridges .

Seriously I would love to see it close up and exactly what contact is made in that trough. I might see if there are any You tube videos on the Avalon or Rock
    honestly its not a bad as you are imagining.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Brook.

I have the same as Jamie123, a Elite Rock II, and at first I was worried about the trough and how you keep the fluid off the records, but once you have played 2 or 3 LP's it becomes perfectly natural and you just don't think of it at all.It really is a very good deck too, especially so when you see how little money they fetch when one comes up for sale, stone cold bargain.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    I have the same as Jamie123, a Elite Rock II, and at first I was worried about the trough and how you keep the fluid off the records, but once you have played 2 or 3 LP's it becomes perfectly natural and you just don't think of it at all.It really is a very good deck too, especially so when you see how little money they fetch when one comes up for sale, stone cold bargain.
    Same here. It's no more problematic than any aspect of getting a record off the shelf and playing it.

The II is a well kept secret in terms of performance for its second hand price.

Pete

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast