+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leak Stereo 20 valve amp

If you think that's small you should see my Rogers Cadet!
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky, in case of snake bite and, furthermore, always carry a small snake."

Kevin

I'm Paul.

I'm glad its a goer for you. I read somewhere that the transformers are a bit marginal for their purpose but I personally think they are fairly huge. Much larger than those on most modern EL84 amps.

For me the ST20 is a bit of a Fugly Munter but it somehow manages to have that charm that makes you not mind having on show in your room.
    ~Paul~

I'm gone.

Yep, this evening I've been playing Bruckner's 3rd symphony - things don't get much louder than that in acoustic music - no problems or loudness/dynamic limitations at all - Big Grin time, actually. Those transformers are certainly up to the job of driving my SD1 speakers.

In fact, my Krell KSA50 amp is now up for sale.

I'm gone.

Mike (Shian7) has kindly sold me a Mullard ECC83 - arrived today (Thanks Mike ) and I plugged it in to make a full set of 3 of the Mullards - the dang Leak just got even better - noticeably better transparency & 3D imaging (and I thought it was good before).

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that you ain't really heard your valve amp if you use 'stock' tubes - try NOS Mullards or Telefunkens and I think you'll be in for a very pleasant surprise!

I'm Nobody.

Very nice, i used to have a pair of Leak 'TL12-Plus' monos, must have been nutz selling em thinking back..Prices have hit the roof a these dayz with the 'ST20' not that long ago you could pick one for about 250, your talking double now...

O god i'm getting itchy fingers again

I'm Shane.

Hello,

I know this thread is old. Sorry!

Does the Leak Stereo 20 have a ''euphonic'' sound?

I'm gone.

Nope - it's not a "traditional valve sound" at all. It's dynamic and detailed and perhaps a tad forward. I love 'em!

MartinT Guest

Agree with that. It has perhaps the most fabulous, liquid, midrange of any amp I've ever heard. Not euphonic, just detailed and dynamic as Jerry says.

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Excellent amps, i aggree that they can sound a bit forward but they can be breathed on to suit most tastes, a re-cap is par for the course.

I'm still missing mine
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes, I heard one several years ago that had had all it's components renewed. Sounded very good indeed, and unsurprisingly sounds quite like the WAD KEL84. I've read that the output transformers are very good indeed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast