+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi, nice to find this forum

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    Hi Marco
    Yes the record collection has grown a bit. Thats the thinned out version. I've got boxes full of records upstairs that I need to start getting rid of.

The EMT's are great. I have had thesetwo about 14 years or so

This is the 930st. Dates from 1963. It would have originally had an Ortofon RF229 arm and has the hole where the backstop post used to be but was changed to the EMT 929 arm sometime in it's life. It has the 155st phono unit. I mostly use this with a TMD25 mono cartridge as the 155st has lots of EQ options and flexibility. I picked this up in Germany from a recording studio that was going all digital along with a Telefunken M10 RTR and its amps.

This is the 938 my wife bought me for christmas just before I aquired the 930. It has the moving coil phono boards and is a joy to use.

Because the EMTs and some other kit I have had in the past like Telefunken and Klangfilm amps use balanced inputs/outputs I bought a Toft LBPA5 pre. It's an amazing bit of kit wih switchable balanced/SE phone option on all inputs and outputs. It's totally silent too which is something I've never found with any other pre. It hasn't got hi end looks but I don't really care.

Just noticed it's a bit dusty in the pic so I'll have to do a bit of cleaning in my music room. Our cleaners are banned from my room after after a previous one dusted one of my amps and managed to crack the glass on one of a pair of EF866 valves ( a neumann specced super EF86). These are rarer than hens teeth and I've never been able to find another.
    Wow! Now that's what I call a record collection. Is it prominately classical?

The EMTs look very nice. Is the supporting frame of the 930 an EMT item; I think I've seen a photo of something similar elsewhere. My 930 is in a massively heavy plinth/cabinet that does the job but is pig-ugly to look at. I want to replace it with something more elegant.

Re. the EF866, you might be interested in the following:

http://roehre.cwsurf.de/Roehren/Vers...den/EF866.html

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Funkwerk-Erfur...-/290519446210

Regards
    Barry

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Wow! Now that's what I call a record collection. Is it prominately classical?

The EMTs look very nice. Is the supporting frame of the 930 an EMT item; I think I've seen a photo of something similar elsewhere. My 930 is in a massively heavy plinth/cabinet that does the job but is pig-ugly to look at. I want to replace it with something more elegant.

Regards
    Hi Barry, yes it's at least 90% classical with a variety of genres making up the rest.

I stripped down a massive Danish Radio trolley custom built for their EMT's to just leave the top plate, the suspension blocks it sits on, and the supporting frame. The original trolley worked well but was nextel covered which had gone very tacky as nextel does with age. I also have a massive H shaped steel casting which has a further suspension system from the bottom of the trolley.
    I hope to eventually have some blocks made up to attach the two suspension systems together.
    In the spirit of recycling the carcass of the trolley now serves as a saw-bench for logs in my garden.
    If you look on Stefano Passini's site he has a pic of a 930 on one of these DR trollies. It would originally have had a removable wooden plinth that sat on top to keep dust out.

It would probably be possible to have a similar frame made out of steam bent wood. Something like Beech or Ash. One of those companies that does replacement wood frames for old cars could probably knock one up.
    Bolted to a heavy base with a suspension/isolation system, it should work well.

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    You have a big room! I scanned the pics and missed them the first time! Seriously... the RT707 looks a lot bigger in my place!

The Telefunken is a serious piece of gear. And a pancake player to boot! I read somewhere that some of The Beatles' Hamburg sessions were recorded on an M10.
    I would think it was most likely that any Beatles Hamburg recordings were done on a Telefunken machine. I they were mono it may have been on an M5.

I sold the M10 together with its solid state record and replay amps for £250 which I suppose is cheap but as I only paid 300 german marks (about £100) for it I was happy.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    I bought a Toft LBPA5 pre. It's an amazing bit of kit wih switchable balanced/SE phone option on all inputs and outputs. It's totally silent too which is something I've never found with any other pre. It hasn't got hi end looks but I don't really care.
    I'm running a Toft too - I will vouch for the amazing too - totally silent, transparancy to die for and so much flexibility, as I understand it there were only ever 14 built !

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Been digging around, saw a post of yours elsewhere. Is it true there were only 14 of these made?

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    I'm running a Toft too - I will vouch for the amazing too - totally silent, transparancy to die for and so much flexibility, as I understand it there were only ever 14 built !
    Hi Ian

I'm not sure how many were built but it could not have been many. In Feb 98 they retailed for £1,395 and I think that at that price buyers may have wanted more bling for the money. The LBPA5 does look a bit like a budget amp but it's whats inside that counts. The owners manual is like a bound report you would do at work.

I bought mine specifically as I had two EMT turntables and a Studer CD that only had balanced outputs and the Telefunken V69 amps I was using had balanced inputs. I bought it on a recommendation and yes I expected it to be good but I was amazed at how unobtrusive it was. It's like a top spec passive pre with gain

this ad dates from 1998

I'm Richard.

I think I'll just keep my head down. Nice piece of kit you have there.

Richard

I'm Ian.

Dont supose the Toft manual has a circuit diagram in it by chance? I dont have a manual for mine.

I have a slight volume imbalance starting to appear, guess the pot is the most likley culprit - tracked it down as a Bourns unit

But am half thinking about trying swapping swapping the op amps for some OPA2134 - but the current draw is much higher on them than the TL072 Guess the cicuit diagram might help identify if it was ok before I invested my pennies.

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    Dont supose the Toft manual has a circuit diagram in it by chance? I dont have a manual for mine.

I have a slight volume imbalance starting to appear, guess the pot is the most likley culprit - tracked it down as a Bourns unit

But am half thinking about trying swapping swapping the op amps for some OPA2134 - but the current draw is much higher on them than the TL072 Guess the cicuit diagram might help identify if it was ok before I invested my pennies.
    There's no circuit diagram in the manual but you may be able to get one from Malcolm Toft. I did have a contact number but can't find it at present. You may be able to reach him via Linkedin.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/professo...toft/7/893/85b

I'm Ian.

swapped the TL072's for TLE2072CP in the end, current draw was very similar - sound is a little less grainy and slightly more detailed now, but very little in it. Think I would need to upgrade my linkedin account to contact MT direct.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast