+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D65 backlighting for TV displays

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Pleased to see a few people have discovered this thread

There is definate eyestrain reduction & enough light to see what you are doing without messing up the picture Contrast actually appears to improve, though obviously it can't in reality - but blacks look blacker!

Wouldn't be without it on any future TV, if it doesn't have Ambilight i'll be going for small 6500K CFLs myself
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Any advice forthcoming or linkable regarding a good way to paint your ceiling? I'm looking for a colour that's suitable both for improving movie viewing and for general daily living. Something that's a good compromise. Currently bright white with magnolia walls.
    Simon.

I'm colin.

I just checked my bulb at the back of the tv. This is the one i got after starting a similar thread if you remmeber Mark. Its only 2700k.
    Im searching for a 6500k bulb ( not tube ) and cant find any that go above 85 cri.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

That's about as good as you'll get Colin If you go over to a tube you might find Northlight tubes which have a CRI of over 90, but that's about it Trouble is they are old Halophosphate (rather than tri-phosphor) tubes so less efficient & they last for considerably less time.
    Bests, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    Any advice forthcoming or linkable regarding a good way to paint your ceiling? I'm looking for a colour that's suitable both for improving movie viewing and for general daily living. Something that's a good compromise. Currently bright white with magnolia walls.
    No idea, mine certainly isn't ideal either & i have a projector & the screen is on a white wall Needs to be dark in reality...
    Bests, Mark

I'm Gary.

Just caught this thread, going for the bias lighting with my 50" plasma, but unsure of which of two options to take and wonder if anyone can advise please?
    I've tracked down these two online;

1: 6500k 5w bulb, CRI of 82
    2: 6000K 15w bulb, CRI of 95

I will be trying it on the cheap at first by sticking a small lamp behind the tv panel to light the back wall, so just buying the best bulb for this particular setup.

What would be best?
    *One or Two small lamps behind TV with the 5w bulbs...
    *One lamp behind TV with the 15w bulb...

Will 15w be too bright for this application, its nigh on the same as a 100watt bulb?
    Also, Whats more important in this situation, closeness to 6500K or a CRI value of 90+. The 5w bulb seems ideal (and cheaper too!) bit will a CRI of 82 be worse than the other bulb, which is three times brighter?

...or what about something completely different and marine tank flourescent at 6500k high CRI?
    My plasma is about a foot away from the wall so have the room to stick a tube behind there.
    Just not sure how I would mount it?
    The lamp idea sounds a good start though as long as its effective...

Yup, its the usual FUD before trying something new...

ta.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm colin.

I went for the 15w bulb and apart from the annoying shine from the bulb on the tv base it works very well. Even with my new varifocals my eyes are relaxed when i switch of the room lights

I'm Mark.

Some of the 6500K bulbs appear too blue for me.

Has anyone found any reasonably priced RGB led strips with a decent controller that can be set to any colour ?

This kind of LED strip:
    http://www.led-tape.com/led-strips/h...r-changing-rgb

http://www.led-tape.com/led-strips/colour-changing-rgb

Probably with a DMX controller unless there is another way to have any colour and easy to control to preset colours etc:
    http://www.led-tape.com/dmx-control

-

I'm Confused.

Smile

If those light boxes they sell to treat SAD give out light of the correct wavelength to aid TV viewing it might be a cheaper (and safer for some) option to buy one ready made.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm colin.

Years back in my store i started selling these bulbs that were meant to be good for SAD. They were silly prices and when i tested one at home they were very blue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast