+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you got ? and can it play music to an ok standard ?

I'm Dan.

Default Yamaha 200E and Mission seven 60i on tv - Dvd

Hi

Im using My vintage yamaha 200e and mission seven 60i's with my tv and dvd and the tv is goodmans great big motherf***ker weights a ton and cambridge dvd 85 player it works great together sound not bad too
    it will do

Dan
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    ... Height... 126mm ... Would you belive I have exactly 125mm in the space I want to put it ... Ah well ... I'd have to have a shuffle around of bits again...

Av amps run quite hot, don't wont to tell you how to suck eggs but they need some fresh air around them or they will cook and also cook what ever is above them as well
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    Av amps run quite hot, don't wont to tell you how to suck eggs but they need some fresh air around them or they will cook and also cook what ever is above them as well
    I'll second that Even putting out little or no power they run pretty warm compared to a stereo amp.. It's no doubt due to all those channels in close quarters

Like Jon says, plenty of room & fresh air

E2A:- I bet you could toast bread on a Krell KAV500 knowing the standard high bias that Krell use
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    The DSP-E800 runs quite cool, it does not have amplifiers for the main channels, and if you pass the centre channel to your main system (via spreading it to your R & L front) the only grunt it's doing is amplifying the rear surrounds.
    Cheers, Will

I'm colin.

Good tip Will. Just started bidding on a Yamaha.
    If i dont win that one theres plenty more. I guess everyone wants hdmi and blue ray sound these days.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    I guess everyone wants hdmi and blue ray sound these days.
    HDMI for pictures definately

24 bit lossless sound is something to behold
    Bests, Mark

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    HDMI for pictures definately

24 bit lossless sound is something to behold
    The HDMI's not an issue as one just connects the source device's HDMI directly to the TV (as long as you have enough HDMI sockets on your TV), with audio switched off, i suppose it would be nice to use it as the switching centre rather than the TV, but sending the video directly to the TV rather than via the decoder (and out again) will probably give a better image IMHO.

However it does mean you need twice the cables, an HDMI to the TV, and a toslink to the decoder for each input device.

Full HD DTS on the other hand would be nice, but until someone comes out with an upgraded equivalent of the DSP-E800, I'll live with 'standard' DTS.

I could go for an audiolab AV processor and another stereo amp for the rear channels, but I'd rather put that money towards a full 1080p projector...when they get a bit cheaper.

I have a Panny 42" 1080/24 Plasma & a Sanyo 720p Z5 at the moment, and although both are very good, I believe my sound quality outstrips my image quality at the moment.
    Cheers, Will

Will, you are not making life easy for yourself

Simply purchase a player with built in decoders onboard & with 5.1 or 7.1 audio output & then you just need to control the volume of all channels at once.

No more upgrading amplifiers just because they have brought out an even newer version of HDMI or some new fangled DTS or whatever
    Bests, Mark

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Will, you are not making life easy for yourself

Simply purchase a player with built in decoders onboard & with 5.1 or 7.1 audio output & then you just need to control the volume of all channels at once.

No more upgrading amplifiers just because they have brought out an even newer version of HDMI or some new fangled DTS or whatever
    Ah but you're assuming I only care about surround sound from my blu-ray player...

I also enjoy it from SKY HD, and Freeview HD too, so it's easier to channel all my AV audio into one central multi channel decoder, and rear surround amp.

75% (probably more) of my viewing is either music or sky sports, cricket and football are broadcast in DD too
    Last edited by WAD62; 07-01-2011 at 16:09.
    Cheers, Will

Jeez You know what they say... Assumption is the mother of all f**k ups

Point taken Will
    Bests, Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast