+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you got ? and can it play music to an ok standard ?

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    ... Height... 126mm ... Would you belive I have exactly 125mm in the space I want to put it ... Ah well ... I'd have to have a shuffle around of bits again...
    ...It does have big rubber feet (about 1.5cm), which could probably be switched at a pinch
    Cheers, Will

I'm David.

If I swapped the feet on it and on the Belkin power conditioner for sorbothane pod things I could sit it on top of that in the rack I think ...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I've got one in the garage - never got round to putting it all back together when I moved 6 years ago! Maybe this will spur me on to sort it out again - it really is a good bit of kit for those that don't want to lose "proper" hifi - but I guess the demand has dried up in the last decade hence why no modern equivalent is made any more.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    If I swapped the feet on it and on the Belkin power conditioner for sorbothane pod things I could sit it on top of that in the rack I think ...
    Sorted...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I've got one in the garage - never got round to putting it all back together when I moved 6 years ago! Maybe this will spur me on to sort it out again - it really is a good bit of kit for those that don't want to lose "proper" hifi - but I guess the demand has dried up in the last decade hence why no modern equivalent is made any more.
    Do it Alex... Just watched Cream's 25th anniversary gig at the royal albert hall in 5.1 DTS last night...magnificent!

Yamaha like everyone else is probably concentrating on the 'popular' market these days. My mate wanted to improve his TV audio, but doesn't take advice well, so all I said was get a yamaha AV receiver and some stereo speakers to start off with...He went and bought the bloody yamaha 'soundbar' !!!!! As he doesn't like wires (gaylord)!!!! For £450

What an abortion of a thing, it is a big improvement on his Samsung's TV audio, however it is not hi-fidelity by any stretch of the imagination...the AV receiver has the sub-woofer built into it!!!! Genius !!!

Eventually it will shake itself and the TV stand to pieces!!! never mind the acoustic feedback issues...

As for the soundbar itself...lifestyle tosh, all out of phase trickery, and speakers the size of pennies. Idiot

Oh but it is 7.1
    Last edited by WAD62; 06-01-2011 at 14:00.
    Cheers, Will

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I do things a little differently (as per usual )...

I'm totally dead set against using any kind of processor or amplifier that decodes the audio from an HDMI input The reason bieng is quite simple, they keep on changing the HDMI specs to include stuff like deep colour, 3D etc.. We are now seeing HDMI v1.4 so if you wanted to get a 3D TV & you decode in an amp it means that you have to replace the player & the whole amplifier

My solution is to buy a player with all the digital conversion done inside & use audio outputs from the player - in my case a Panasonic DMP-BD80 & Denon DVD2930 & feed this to a pre amp that handles 5.1 inputs. All the HDMI does is feed video to either the TV or projector.

Audio (which as i type is only 2 channel ) will be fed to a Audio Research MP1 which has 3 sets of 5.1 inputs (one of those has balanced inputs as well as phonos).

This is the way i'm going, i get a pre amp that will be as good with 5.1 as with stereo & top quality to boot, no problems with having to change players & amplifiers - just the player for future upgrades

Yes i know the Panasonic has 7.1 out, but in reality i don't have room for 7 speakers & as long as i set it to "no speakers" on the rear surrounds it'll down mix any 7.1 content on the rear surrounds to the surrounds... Jobs a good one
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Adam.

I have an A/V setup of sorts in the lounge - B&O Beovision Avant 32 DVD/Television, B&O Beosound 9000 CD player and B&O Beolab 8000 speakers. It plays music very nicely, thanks!

I did provide cabling under the carpet to allow the addition of rear channels and a sub, but the room really isn't big enough to justify more speakers and also the shape of the room means the TV is in the corner, outside the main speakers. It still adds some good atmosphere and punch to films though.

As to my subwoofer, this is a Mordaunt Short Performance 9 and was banished from the room after we bought a larger sofa. To be fair I could barely use it before things started rattling or falling off nearby shelves, but it seems a shame that it's currently acting as a handy coffee table in my listening room.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Neil.

I got myself into trouble once for my stance on multi-channel sound on the main forum. Those opinions were based on hearing a lot of stuff over the years including very expensive Lexicon and Parasound AV gear. Even the very best are beaten by cheaper two channel gear. There is way to much extra crap going on in these to sound as good as a dedicated HiFi system.However some AV amplifiers have reasonable power amplifiers inside so hooking up a dedicated audio pre-amplifier can work. However the system become messy to work so I never went down that road.

Stan Beresfords speaker/amplifier switch could allow you to hook an AV amplifier and two channel audio system together using the same front speakers. Worth a try as it is very transparent to audio signals.

My main set-up is as follows...

Denon AVC-AV1SE. The first 6.1 amplifier with DTS and Dolby Digital versions of that sound processing option. Fantastic weight and scale with effortless dynamics. But on music two channel its crap, movies are brilliant. One of the best all in one AV amplifiers I have ever heard. I should point out that I have heard a lot of Yamaha, Marantz, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo amplifiers that have come out since the AV1SE and none of them despite having more up to date sound processing are as good to me ears.

Pioneer DVD 868 AVI for multi-region discs. My main DVD player is a recently acquired Meridian G96 DVD transport.....no analogue outputs with it though; nor DVD Audio. On movies its stunning in fact I don't even need to put my Sub on at times.

I also have a Toshiba DVD 900E. I am not using it at the minute.

Panasonic DVD recorder with hard drive (I have never recorded a DVD but I do use the hard drive a bit) JVC Svhs/Hard Drive recorder HM HDS1 brilliant bit of kit

Sky + box (hard drive stopped working last year so I use the JVC and Panasonic. That's the second one to die on me )

Speakers are Mission and the Sub is a Rel Q200E.

Cabling is Top of the range Qed and Ixos and the TV is a 36in Panasonic PD50 E

I also have an AV system in my bedroom comprising of a Toshiba 32 in flat CRT TV, Yamaha AV amplifier and an Energy speaker package. DVD player is a Sony with Sony VCR.

I never listen to music on any of this kit just watch movies and the odd concert. Turn the visuals off with a concert and the sound is usually wrong to my ears but put the visuals back and the mind seems to make adjustments...anyone else experience that ?

Oh yes everything is set up right using sound pressure wave metre...I have both a digital and analogue one. I calibrate the sound levels to 75 DB and C weighted. I bought those way back when I worked in the Brown goods trade....they have proven to be invaluable over the years. I prefer the analogue one.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 06-01-2011 at 17:23.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I never listen to music on any of this kit just watch movies and the odd concert. Turn the visuals off with a concert and the sound is usually wrong to my ears but put the visuals back and the mind seems to make adjustments...anyone else experience that ?

Regards D S D L
    Interesting that you mention this Neil as you just reminded me of something

I happen to have quite a few DTS encoded 5.1 channel music discs (music only) & the effect is staggering with the thing set up properly. This is another reason i can't wait (even though i have to) to get back to having the AV setup as it should be. Except intead of a Harmon Kardon AVR5500 the whole thing will be improved

In answer to your question i can't honestly say that i have ever knowingly tried it... however i seem to remember a couple of times the projector going off (dodgy connection in a 4 way mains block ) & apart from wondering what the heck had happened things did sound odd with no picture
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Neil.

Yes Mark it is odd. I have never experienced anything like this with HiFi sound though but I usually listen in the dark anyway so visuals are not part of the equation.

I think it is the way the sound is mixed in to match the visuals etc. Take the visual away and the illusion is broken.

Regards D S D L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast