+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What have you got ? and can it play music to an ok standard ?

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

You could do but you'd have a hard job balancing the fronts to the centre & surrounds unless you bypass your pre & use the volume control on a processor.

This is the big problem you see, keeping all the channels balanced The only way to do it properly is to use a volume control that does all 6 channels at the same time. You also need to balance everything so need gain controls which once set up never need to be touched again.

I fully understand what you are after now & it's a pita
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyleyes View Post
    Just noticed all the DS 800 owners here .. I am considering going the same route and would like to ask a question. Does the 800 act as a pre amp to the Main power amp that one needs to be added to the system to power the front two speakers ... .. or can one use an integrated or pre power combo fo feed into there.
    Also .. can it be used as a stand alone DAC say for MP3's from a computer.
    Thanks ..
    Yes, yes, and yes...is the short answer.

1. Put your centre channel across the L&R front channels, if you want to make the most out of your stereo setup
    2. Set your Pre/integrated stereo amp volume at 12 O'clock, on the appropriate input
    3. Balance all the channels using the DSP800E white/pink noise generator

Now whenever you want to watch a movie, select the input from the DSP800E, set your stereo volume at 12 O'clock and away you go. Everything is now controlled by the DSP800E volume control

P.S. the onboard DAC will handle stereo for your mp3s too, it's not the best DAC but it will work, and if it's only mp3's it'll be ok.
    Cheers, Will

Location: Swaledale, North Yorkshire + The Valley of Longevity

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Excellent .. ..... Thanks Will and Mark .. ........... I think then I'll go the Yam 800 route for now and use that to learn my way around AV stuff and setting up. Then if I get into this big surround sound thing for movies and DVD music concert movies I will explore getting a better AV HD capable processor .. whether it be an exisiting all in one deal .. or something like the TAG // and figure out how to use all my own amplification with them ... I have a Nak PA-7 and Quad 405 that would be nice for surround channels ... In fact I am going to try out the PA-7 as my main amp as well .. loads of grunt there for movies .. ... In the meantime the Radford is the main power amp for sound quality .. until I can get/afford something better

Cheers
    Brian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smile, breathe and go slowly ..........................

Currently using a yamaha 3040 to provide surround with the front 2 channels pre out into naim feeding proac future 0.5 fronts, dali ikon 6 mk2 rears and 4 dali phantom E80s in the ceiling with a rel stentor III to provide the low end so yep sounds pretty amazing for both movies and regular 2 channel though for music the yamaha generally gets switched off its a good amp but not in the same league as the naim.

I'm Pete.

I have a Meridian G61RSL Surround Controller with Meridian G55 5 channel power amp and 2x Meridian 205 power amps which work fine for me.

The Meridian 205s power the 2 rear channels.
    The G55 is running in bridged mode giving >300w per channel to the front stereo speakers and also providing 100w for the centre channel.

The G61RSL has a Stereo option which switches off all dsp processing and sounds really good - guess it is a bit to do with the watts involved

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567